Space Travel News  
Police dismiss 'forest jihad' as cause of deadly wildfires

Superintendent Ross McNeill insisted there was no suggestion of a link to the fires that razed entire towns last weekend, killing at least 181 people and destroying more than 750 homes. Photo courtesy AFP.
by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) Feb 11, 2009
Australian police Wednesday dismissed any suggestion the wildfires that have killed more than 180 people could have been started by Islamic militants waging "forest jihad."

The idea has started to turn up on Internet blog sites after reports last year that a group of Islamic extremists had urged Muslims to light bushfires as a weapon of terror.

Police believe some of the fires that ripped through southeast Australia since the weekend were started by arsonists, but a spokesman said there was no suspicion they were Islamic terror attacks.

"None at all, absolutely nothing, zero," Superintendent Ross McNeill told AFP.

"We usually rank possibilities on a scale of 0 to 10 -- this would be on a negative scale," he said.

McNeill said he was aware of last year's report, which said US intelligence channels had identified a website calling on Muslims in Australia, the US, Europe and Russia to "start forest fires."

The report, carried by Melbourne's The Age newspaper on September 7, said the website claimed "scholars have justified chopping down and burning the infidels' forests when they do the same to our lands."

Posted by a group called the Al-Ikhlas Islamic Network, it argues in Arabic that lighting fires is an effective form of terrorism justified in Islamic law under the doctrine of an "eye for an eye," the report said.

It calls on Muslims to remember "forest jihad" in summer, saying fires cause economic damage and can take months to extinguish so that "this terror will haunt them for an extended period of time."

The Age report said Australian intelligence agencies were treating the possibility that bushfires could be used as a weapon of terrorism as a serious concern.

Attorney-General Robert McClelland said the federal government remained "vigilant against such threats," warning that anyone caught lighting a fire as a weapon of terror would feel the wrath of anti-terror laws, the paper said.

But McNeill insisted there was no suggestion of a link to the fires that razed entire towns last weekend, killing at least 181 people and destroying more than 750 homes.

Related Links
The Long War - Doctrine and Application



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


China urges Canada not to accept Guantanamo Uighurs
Beijing (AFP) Feb 5, 2009
China urged Canada on Thursday not to take in up to three members of its Uighur minority held at Guantanamo Bay, saying the issue should be solved according to international law.







  • Two Rockets Fly Through Auroral Arc
  • U.S. rocketry competition is under way
  • ATK And NASA Complete Major Milestones For NASA Constellation Program
  • KSC Operations And Checkout Facility Ready To Start Orion Spacecraft Integration

  • Proton-M Rocket Orbits 2 New Telecom Satellites
  • Ariane 5 Is Cleared For Its First Mission Of 2009
  • Assembly Begins On Second Ariane 5 For The Year
  • ISRO Says It Is Not looking At Arianespace As A Competitor

  • Discovery Facing More Delays
  • NASA Continues Assessment Of The Next Shuttle Mission
  • Shuttle Engineers Study Fuel Valve
  • NASA delays Discovery mission to space station

  • Happy Birthday, Columbus!
  • Columbus, One Year On Orbit
  • Russian cargo ship blasts off for ISS
  • Astronauts Swab The Deck

  • Iran space shot 'rudimentary': US general
  • NASA awards launch services contract
  • NASA Receives Shorty Twitter Award
  • Saving oceans and finding aliens make TED Prize wish list

  • China plans own satellite navigation system by 2015: state media
  • Fengyun-3A Weather Satellite Begins Weather Monitoring
  • Shenzhou-7 Monitor Satellite Finishes Mission After 100 Days In Space
  • China Launches Third Fengyun-2 Series Weather Satellite

  • NASA And Caltech Test Steep-Terrain Rover
  • NASA And Caltech Test Steep-Terrain Rover
  • ASI Chaos Small Robot To Participate In Series Of Exercises
  • Iowa Staters Advance Developmental Robotics With Goal Of Teaching Robots To Learn

  • Opportunity Update: Happy Anniversary! - sol 1770-1776
  • Martian Crater Features Suggest Influence Of Water And Ice
  • Spirit Update: On the Move - sol 1791-1797
  • Antarctic Expedition Prepared Researchers For Mars Project

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement