Space Travel News  
NKorea says SKorean leader running risk of war

South Korea's new President Lee Myung-Bak.
by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) April 7, 2008
North Korea Monday renewed its attacks on South Korea's new President Lee Myung-Bak, accusing him of pushing the peninsula closer to nuclear war.

The communist party newspaper Rodong Sinmun poured scorn on his decision to link economic aid to the North's nuclear disarmament, and said he should order the United States to withdraw "its nuclear weapons massively stockpiled in South Korea."

The United States, Seoul's long-time military ally, says it withdrew the last of its nuclear weapons from South Korea in 1991.

The paper in a commentary called on the US to end "its political and military threat to the DPRK's (North Korea's) security and sovereignty."

It said the Lee government's demand for Pyongyang to denuclearise as a precondition for better relations had caused a crisis in cross-border ties.

"It is as clear as noonday that their persistent insistence on the above-said provocative assertion would only lead to a war on this land," the paper said.

The comments come on the eve of a scheduled meeting in Singapore Tuesday between the US and North Korean negotiators in six-nation denuclearisation talks.

There is speculation that an agreement has been reached to move forward with the talks, which have been deadlocked since December by disagreements over the North's promised declaration of all its nuclear activities.

The talks group the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, Russia and host China, which US negotiator Christopher Hill will visit after Singapore.

Inter-Korean relations, in contrast, have grown tenser in recent days.

Analysts say the North may be trying to pressure Lee to drop his tougher line and to sway opinion against his conservative party ahead of Wednesday's general election in the South.

Since late March the North has expelled South Korean officials from a joint industrial complex, test-fired missiles and claimed that Seoul was breaching the disputed sea border.

It accused the South of planning a preemptive attack and threatened to turn its neighbour into "ashes" in response. Last week the North announced it would cut off all dialogue.

Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NKorea cuts contacts with South as tensions escalate
Seoul (AFP) April 3, 2008
North Korea announced Thursday it was suspending all dialogue with South Korea and closing the border to Seoul officials, its toughest action in a week of growing cross-border tensions.







  • SpaceX Conducts First Three-Engine Firing Of Falcon 9 Rocket
  • European Space Truck Jules Verne In Parking Orbit
  • New Purdue Facility Aims To Improve NASA Moon Rocket Engine
  • Space X Falcon 9 Facing More Delays As Shuttle Replacement Looms

  • Vietnam delays launch of first satellite
  • Zenit Rocket To Orbit Israeli Satellite In Late April
  • Successful Qualification Firing Test For Zefiro 23
  • German military satellite launched by Russia: report

  • NASA reschedules shuttle launch date
  • Shuttle Endeavour returns after record-setting mission to ISS
  • Endeavour Crew Prepares For Landing
  • Shuttle Endeavour's landing delayed at Cape Canaveral

  • New Station Crew Prepares For Launch Tuesday
  • In maiden voyage, European space freighter docks with ISS
  • European space freighter in dress rehearsal for ISS hookup
  • Crew Conducts Science, Preps For Jules Verne Docking

  • Aerojet And Orbital Test Next Gen Safety System For NASA's Orion Program
  • Korea's singing astronaut set for space launch
  • Rocket rolled out for Korean astronaut's launch
  • NASA predicts thousands of job cuts

  • China's space development can pose military threat: Japan
  • Cassini Tastes Organic Material At Saturn's Geyser Moon
  • China Approves Second-Phase Lunar Probe Program
  • Brazil To Deepen Space Cooperation With China

  • European Space Freighter cleared to dock with ISS: ESA
  • Toshiba robot can do the job of the remote control
  • Jules Verne Set For Next Step On Road To Automated Station Docking
  • High-Schoolers Go Into Overdrive At FIRST Robotics Competition

  • Visting Mars, Again And Again
  • Spirit Phones Home To Reset Clock As Energy Levels Plummet For Mars Rover
  • No Speed Limit On Mars
  • Mars Rover Opportunity Completes Dental Checkup At Victoria Crater's Duck Bay

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement