Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




WAR REPORT
Yemen rebels advance in battleground Aden
By Nabil Hassan with Fawaz al-Haidari in Taez
Aden (AFP) April 5, 2015


Saudi to raze empty villages on Yemen border: report
Riyadh (AFP) April 5, 2015 - Saudi Arabia will raze 96 deserted border villages to prevent their use by infiltrators from neighbouring Yemen, where the kingdom is leading air strikes on rebels, a report said Sunday.

Ten villages have already been demolished since a Saudi-led military coalition began air strikes on Shiite Huthi rebels on March 26, the Saudi-owned Al-Hayat newspaper reported.

It cited the border guard chief in the area, Hassan Aqili, as saying that the move was to prevent the empty houses from turning into "a safe haven for traffickers and infiltrators".

The 15,000 inhabitants were resettled following a 2009-2010 conflict that saw Huthi rebels cross into Saudi Arabia from their stronghold in northern Yemen.

The same rebels forced Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi to flee the country to Saudi Arabia last month as they swept towards his southern refuge in Aden after seizing power in the capital.

Three Saudi border guards have been shot dead by gunfire from within Yemen since Riyadh launched air raids against the Iran-backed rebels.

Yemeni rebels made new gains in the battleground southern city Aden Sunday as a Saudi-led coalition trying to halt their advance faced growing calls for a humanitarian pause in air strikes.

The Red Cross has appealed for an immediate truce to allow families to seek water, food and medical assistance, describing the situation as "dire".

Russia presented a draft resolution to the UN Security Council on Saturday calling for a humanitarian pause in the Saudi-led air war against the Huthi Shiite rebels, now in its 11th day.

The coalition kept up its night-time raids against rebel positions and arms depots, particularly around the capital Sanaa and Saada, the northern stronghold of the Iran-backed rebels.

In the main southern city Aden, the rebels advanced into the central port district of Mualla, capturing the provincial government headquarters, a local official said.

Mualla is defended by "popular committees" militiamen loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, who has fled to neighbouring Saudi Arabia.

The rebels bombarded residential areas, setting fire to several buildings and damaging others, witnesses said.

At least five civilians were killed and 14 wounded in the latest clashes, according to the city's health department director Al-Kheder Lassouar.

"There are children among the wounded," he said.

Residents said dozens of families had fled their homes in Aden, the heart of which sits on an extinct volcano jutting out into the sea.

Coalition spokesman General Ahmed Assiri accused the rebels of "terrorising" civilians.

Assiri also said that the Red Cross had been due to send a plane Sunday to Sanaa carrying humanitarian aid but had delayed the flight.

- Snipers on rooftops -

"Snipers, who took position on the roofs of provincial government buildings, targeted passers-by and members of the popular committees," pro-Hadi fighter Khalid Bashaea told AFP.

The rebels also fired mortar rounds at an Aden television station loyal to Hadi, forcing it off the air.

Hospitals are running short of medicines and the streets of Aden are strewn with bodies, the Red Cross said, calling for a 24-hour ceasefire.

"Our relief supplies and surgical personnel must be allowed to enter the country and safely reach the worst-affected places to provide help," said Robert Mardin, head of Middle East operations for the International Committee of the Red Cross.

"Otherwise, put starkly, many more people will die. For the wounded, their chances of survival depend on action within hours, not days."

The Saudi-led military coalition, which comprises four other Gulf states as well as Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan, said aid would be allowed into the country when conditions are right.

Violence has escalated sharply in the deeply tribal country on the southern tip of the Arabian Peninsula since the coalition launched Operation Decisive Storm against the rebels on March 26.

Hadi took refuge in Aden in February after the Huthis seized power in the capital Sanaa, but left for Saudi Arabia last month as they advanced on the city.

The rebels seized his presidential palace in Aden on Thursday but, aided by air strikes and arms drops, Hadi loyalists drove the rebels out of the hilltop complex the following day.

- Regional power struggle -

Pro-Hadi forces also said they retook the rebel-held southern town of Loder in Abyan province on Sunday after fierce clashes reportedly killed 24 people, including 21 Shiite militiamen.

The violence has raised fears that impoverished Yemen could be torn apart by a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran -- the foremost Sunni and Shiite Muslim powers in the Middle East.

Iran has accused Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia of sowing instability in the region with its air campaign against the Huthis, who hail from the mainly Shiite northern mountains.

But Tehran has rejected as "utter lies" accusations that it armed the rebels, who have allied with army units loyal to ex-president Ali Abdullah Saleh to seize vast swathes of Yemen.

Iranian media reported Sunday that Tehran had sought help from Oman, which unlike other Gulf monarchies did not participate in the Saudi-led coalition, to end the air strikes "immediately".

Separated from Iran by only the narrow Strait of Hormuz, Oman enjoys much better ties with the Islamic republic than other Gulf Arab states.

Russia's request to halt the air strikes came as Gulf countries were pushing for a separate UN resolution that would impose an arms embargo and sanctions on the Huthis.

That draft text has come up against strong opposition from Moscow, which proposed amendments to apply the arms embargo to the entire country and to limit sanctions.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





WAR REPORT
Yemen rebels seize presidential palace in Aden
Aden (AFP) April 2, 2015
Yemeni rebels seized President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi's palace in his former southern stronghold Aden Thursday, dealing a symbolic blow to the self-exiled leader despite a week of Saudi-led air strikes. As the war-torn country descended deeper into chaos, Al-Qaeda militants freed hundreds of inmates in a jailbreak. The advance by Iran-backed rebels deep into Aden, the last bastion of Had ... read more


WAR REPORT
Soyuz Installed at Baikonur, Expected to Launch Wednesday

Soyuz ready March 27 flight to deploy two Galileo navsats

UAE Moves to Purchase Russian Spacecraft Launch Platform

Russia Launches Satan Missile With S Korean Kompsat 3A Satellite

WAR REPORT
Rover Amnesia Event Follows Latest Memory Reformatting

Ancient Martian lake system records 2 water-related events

Curiosity Rover Finds Biologically Useful Nitrogen on Mars

NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover Passes Marathon Distance

WAR REPORT
Extent of Moon's giant volcanic eruption is revealed

Yutu Changes Everything We Thought We Knew About Our Moon

Extent of moon's giant volcanic eruption is revealed

NASA's LRO Spacecraft Finds March 17, 2013 Impact Crater and More

WAR REPORT
Help Name New Features on Pluto

Name the features on Pluto and its moon Charon

Science Shorts: Why Pluto?

Pluto Science, on the Surface

WAR REPORT
Earthlike 'Star Wars' Tatooines may be common

Planets in the habitable zone around most stars, calculate researchers

Our Solar System May Have Once Harbored Super-Earths

SOFIA Finds Missing Link Between Supernovae and Planet Formation

WAR REPORT
Falcon 9 Evolves

Lockheed Martin buys high-speed wind tunnel

Aerojet Rocketdyne Hot-Fire Tests Additive Components for the AR1 Engine

Sierra Nevada Corporation Unveils New Dream Chaser Cargo System

WAR REPORT
Chinese scientists mull power station in space

China completes second test on new carrier rocket's power system

China's Yutu rover reveals Moon's "complex" geological history

China's Space Laboratory Still Cloaked

WAR REPORT
Next Steps on Journey to Mars: Progress on Asteroid Initiative

NASA plans to bring boulder into moon orbit

Comet 67P's Speed of Rotation Shows Signs of Slowing Down

Rosetta makes first detection of molecular nitrogen at a comet




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.