Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




AFRICA NEWS
Warring forces in South Sudan 'recruiting children': rights group
by Staff Writers
Nairobi (AFP) Feb 16, 2015


South Sudan government and rebel forces are both recruiting children as young as 13 to fight in the country's civil war, a rights group said Monday in a report rejected by the government.

The government is "actively recruiting" teenagers, often by force, while rebels are also using child soldiers in the 14-month long conflict, said Human Rights Watch.

"Despite renewed promises by both government and opposition forces that they will stop using child soldiers, both sides continue to recruit and use children in combat," said HRW's Africa director Daniel Bekele.

Minister for Information Michael Makuei dismissed the report, saying there were plenty of men still able to fight.

"How can we recruit child soldiers at a time when we have sufficient manpower?" he told AFP. "We have no child soldiers."

But HRW say that government forces are taking children, in some cases, such as in the northern war-damaged town of Malakal, "from right outside the United Nations compound."

Malakal, in oil-rich Upper Nile State, has changed hands six times since the war started in December 2013, and 21,000 civilians have sought shelter and safety behind the UN's barbed-wire fences.

The ruined city is currently under government control and HRW said some children were forcibly recruited from outside the gates of the UN base.

The UN children's agency says that in the last year 12,000 children, most of them boys, have been recruited and used as soldiers by the army, rebels and allied militias.

Since the start of the year UNICEF has negotiated the release of 3,000 child soldiers from a rebel group commanded by David Yau Yau in the Pibor region of Jonglei, but many more still are fighting and recruitment is continuing.

In response to international pressure South Sudan's government passed a 2008 law banning the use of child soldiers and setting a minimum age of 18 for recruitment or conscription.

President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar headed the government that signed the 2008 law, but it was quickly flouted when fighting began and soldiers were needed.

Fighting broke out in December 2013 when Kiir accused Machar of attempting a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings across the country. War continues despite numerous ceasefire deals.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








AFRICA NEWS
Nigerian president calls for US help as Boko Haram invade city
Kano, Nigeria (AFP) Feb 14, 2015
Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan appealed for more US help in fighting Boko Haram, as the Islamists struck again on Saturday and called for a boycott of upcoming general elections. The head of state for the first time claimed direct links between the Sunni radicals who have been waging a six-year insurgency in Nigeria and the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq. He told the Wall S ... read more


AFRICA NEWS
Soyuz Installed at Baikonur, Expected to Launch Wednesday

SpaceX launches deep-space weather observatory

SpaceX cargo craft returns to Earth

High seas force SpaceX to ditch bid to recycle rocket

AFRICA NEWS
NASA's Curiosity Analyzing Sample of Martian Mountain

Mars Rover Nearing Marathon Achievement

NASA's Curiosity Analyzing Sample of Martian Mountain

NASA Spacecraft Completes 40,000 Mars Orbits

AFRICA NEWS
NASA releases video of the far side of the Moon

US Issuing Licenses for Mineral Mining on Moon

LRO finds lunar hydrogen more abundant on Moon's pole-facing slopes

Service Module of Chinese Probe Enters Lunar Orbit

AFRICA NEWS
New Horizons snaps new images of Pluto en route to historic flyby

Something Special in the Air

NASA craft set to beam home close-ups of Pluto

New Horizons ready for planet's beyond beyond

AFRICA NEWS
Scientists predict earth-like planets around most stars

"Vulcan Planets" - Inside-Out Formation of Super-Earths

Dawn ahead!

Habitable Evaporated Cores

AFRICA NEWS
China tests new carrier rocket's power system

ESA experimental spaceplane completes research flight

Eruptions Evicted: Anti-geyser Testing Completed for SLS Liquid Oxygen Tank

Europe tests space plane in step to strategic goal

AFRICA NEWS
More Astronauts for China

China launches the FY-2 08 meteorological satellite successfully

China's Long March puts satellite in orbit on 200th launch

Countdown to China's new space programs begins

AFRICA NEWS
Why Comets Are Like Deep Fried Ice Cream

Rosetta photos: Comet's material becoming more volatile as it nears sun

Number of Known Accessible Near-Earth Asteroids Doubles Since 2010

Dawn Gets Closer Views of Ceres




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.