. Space Travel News .




.
THE STANS
US troops may stay past 2014 in Afghanistan: report
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Dec 21, 2011


The US commander in Afghanistan said in an interview published Wednesday that American troops could stay in Afghanistan beyond 2014, the latest signal of a possible open-ended US military role in the country.

General John Allen told the New York Times that negotiations with Afghan officials on a strategic partnership would "almost certainly" feature "a discussion with Afghanistan of what a post-2014 force will look like."

Afghan President Hamid Karzai had "in fact, just the other day talked about his desire to have conversations with the US about a post-2014 force," Allen was quoted as saying.

"We would probably see some number of advisers, trainers, intelligence specialists here for some period of time beyond 2014," the commander said.

Allen, who oversees the NATO-led force in the 10-year-old war, is the highest-ranking military officer to openly suggest the possibility of American forces remaining beyond 2014.

President Barack Obama's administration has suggested combat troops would depart by the end of 2014 but left the door open to a residual force remaining on the ground.

The US ambassador to Afghanistan, Ryan Crocker, said earlier this month that Washington would be ready to keep forces in Afghanistan if the Kabul government requested it.

With the United States now engaged in a gradual troop drawdown, Karzai said Sunday his government is negotiating the terms of a long-term US presence in the country that could involve American troops.

US-led troops, which toppled the Taliban in a 2001 invasion, have been battling the hardline Islamist insurgency for ten years and are due to hand over security duties to Afghan government forces by 2015.

The United States is withdrawing 10,000 troops this year, leaving 91,000 on the ground into next year. Another 23,000 are due to leave by the end of September.

Former Afghan officials and analysts have warned the country likely will slide into a civil war, with rivals India and Pakistan clashing through proxies, if US and allied forces withdraw at the end of 2014.

In Iraq, US and Iraqi leaders could not agree on the terms for a future US force and the withdrawal of American troops has been accompanied by sectarian political turmoil.

Related Links
News From Across The Stans




.
.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries




US soldiers charged over death in Afghanistan
Kabul (AFP) Dec 21, 2011 - Eight US troops were charged on Wednesday in connection with the death of a fellow soldier allegedly abused in southern Afghanistan, the military said.

The soldiers face a raft of charges over the death of 19-year-old Private Danny Chen on October 3 in Kandahar, a Taliban flashpoint.

Five of the eight have been charged with negligent homicide, when death results from an act or failure to act of the accused.

Other charges include involuntary manslaughter, assault, maltreatment, reckless endangerment and dereliction of duty.

"Eight US soldiers deployed to southern Afghanistan were charged in connection with the death of a fellow soldier that occurred in October," said the US-led International Security Assistance Forces Regional Command South.

"The soldier was found in a guard tower with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Those charged include a First Lieutenant, who faces eight counts of dereliction of duty, two Staff Sergeants, three Sergeants and two Specialists.

They hail from C Company, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

In October, The New York Times said investigators told Chen's parents three days after his death that they had not yet determined whether the shot to his head was self-inflicted or fired by someone else.

The Chens also said they were told that their son was subjected to physical abuse and ethnic slurs by superiors.

US troops have been fighting in Afghanistan since their 2001 invasion brought down the Taliban regime for refusing to surrender Osama bin Laden after the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington.

An ongoing drawdown will leave 68,000 US soldiers in Afghanistan by late 2012, ahead of the scheduled departure of all combat troops by late 2014.



.

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



THE STANS
Cameron visits British troops in Afghanistan
Kabul (AFP) Dec 20, 2011
Prime Minister David Cameron paid a pre-Christmas visit to British troops in Afghanistan on Tuesday, although his plans were upset by a dust storm, officials and media said. Cameron had intended to visit Camp Bastion in the restive southern province of Helmand, where the majority of Britain's 9,500 troops are based, but his Royal Air Force flight was forced to divert to Kandahar airfield. ... read more


THE STANS
Next ESA Astronaut Ready For Launch As Soyuz Rolls Out

Acra Control Proven in Low Earth Orbit

Vega moves closer to its first liftoff

Arianespace Signs First launch contracts for Vega

THE STANS
Meteorite Shock Waves Trigger Dust Avalanches on Mars

Opportunity at One of its Two Winter Spots

Scientists find microbes in lava tube living in conditions like those on Mars

MARSIS Completes Measurement Campaign Over Martian North Pole

THE STANS
Peres promotes Israeli moon probe

Hundreds of NASA's moon rocks missing: audit

Schafer Corp Signs Licensing Agreement with MoonDust Technologies

Russia wants to focus on Moon if Mars mission fails

THE STANS
New Horizons Becomes Closest Spacecraft to Approach Pluto

Pluto's Hidden Ocean

Is the Pluto System Dangerous?

Starlight study shows Pluto's chilly twin

THE STANS
Giant Super-Earths Made Of Diamond Are Possible

New Planet Kepler-21b discovery a partnership of both space and ground-based observations

Astronomers Find Goldilocks Planet and Others

The Habitable Exoplanets Catalog, a new online database of habitable worlds

THE STANS
NASA Takes Next Step In Developing Commercial Crew Program

Industry Leaders Discuss New Booster Development for Space Launch System

NASA Concludes 2011 Testing of J-2X Engine

Russia space agency 'bans foreign travel'

THE STANS
Tiangong-1 orbiter starts planned cabin checks against toxic gas

China celebrates success of space docking mission

Two and a Half Men for Shenzhou

China honors its 'father' of space efforts

THE STANS
Comet Lovejoy Plunges into the Sun and Survives

Using many instruments to track a comet

NASA Developing Comet Harpoon for Sample Return

NASA at work on 'spearfishing' for comets


.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement