Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




WAR REPORT
US Congress wary of greenlighting 'Iraq 2.0'
by Staff Writers
Washington (AFP) Sept 12, 2014


White House insists Obama authorized to strike IS
Washington (AFP) Sept 11, 2014 - The White House insisted Thursday that President Barack Obama was authorized to strike the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria under a law passed by Congress after the September 11 attacks in 2001.

Obama believes he can act under the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), despite previously calling for the law to be revised, and ultimately repealed.

"It is the view of this administration that the 2001 AUMF continues to apply," said White House spokesman Josh Earnest, on the somber anniversary of the attacks on New York and Washington.

The AUMF was signed into law a week after the September 11 attacks and used as the legal basis for the broad US campaign against international terrorism that followed the Al-Qaeda strikes on the United States.

It says the president has the authority to go after Al-Qaeda and states that helped or harbored them, and its mandate has been widely interpreted by both the Bush and Obama administrations to allow wide anti-terrorism operations.

"The president has authority under the constitution to take action to deter and prevent acts of international terrorism against the United States," the law reads.

Critics have questioned whether the spirit of the law truly allows US operations against groups that are not linked to Al-Qaeda or are offshoots of the group.

There are also some questions whether Obama's intention to end combat operations by the end of the year in Afghanistan -- the conflict directly triggered by the September 11 attacks -- will invalidate the AUMF.

Obama's rationale for not asking Congress for a new authorization to wage war is also coming under fire because Islamic State and Al-Qaeda -- the organization from which it originally sprung -- are publicly at odds.

But a senior White House official told reporters on Wednesday that although the United States had degraded Al-Qaeda, the president still had the authority to pursue other groups -- styling them as "affiliates that have broken off or some organizations that have evolved into something different, as in the case of ISIL."

Earnest argued Thursday that the operation against IS announced by Obama in a primetime address on Wednesday was permitted under the AUMF because it was once known as Al-Qaeda in Iraq and that a decade-long relationship between the organizations could not be disregarded.

He also argued that some of the key members of IS believe that they are the true inheritors of dead Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's legacy.

"The tactics of Al-Qaeda in Iraq have not changed simply because they've changed their name," he said.

Earnest also argued that Al-Qaeda's ultimate goal was to form a caliphate -- an aspiration shared by IS.

US lawmakers will likely give President Barack Obama authority to train Syrian rebels to combat jihadists, but Democrats and many Republicans are wary of repeating America's Iraq war debacle.

Mindful of the risks of war in the Middle East, Congress will rally to an embattled commander in chief's strategy to defeat the Islamic State (IS) extremist group, but seek to keep his war powers in check.

This has led to an introspective mood in Washington, where lawmakers have only a few days before hustling home to hit the campaign trail, essentially leaving the US Capitol empty until after November's congressional election.

Republican Senator Mark Kirk reflected the mood of many, saying he supports a swift vote backing Obama's effort to train and arm vetted, moderate rebel forces in Syria as a key plank in battling IS.

But, he told AFP, "my constituents are understandably concerned about Iraq 2.0."

A chief architect of the 2003 US invasion that plunged Iraq into chaos, former vice president Dick Cheney, visited Washington this week urging Obama to get "back on offense in the war on terror."

And House Republican Peter King urged the president to brace Americans for a war that could last "10 or 15 years."

House Speaker John Boehner, who habitually clashes with Obama, struck a unifying tone by urging lawmakers to "give the president what he's asking for" on counter-terrorism measures.

But skepticism and outright resistance abounds. Who better to convey the angst over potentially triggering another war than the lawmakers who now regret voting for the Iraq invasion?

In 2002, after Democratic Congressman Brad Sherman suggested various alternatives to war in Iraq, he eventually gave president George W. Bush "all the blank check authority he asked for."

Looking back, Sherman would have preferred Congress to authorize Bush's White House to use force under narrower grounds, something he and other lawmakers aim to do now.

"I would worry if we ignore ISIS, and I would worry if this leads to a war similar to the Iraq war," Sherman told AFP. "There are concerns in every direction."

Democrat Jim Moran voted against Iraq war authorization. "We've been burned by Iraq and we're not going to let that happen again," he said.

The White House argues it has authority for expanded US military intervention in Iraq and Syria under the 2001 authorization of the use of military force (AUMF) against Al-Qaeda, which Congress passed overwhelmingly after 9/11.

That AUMF was open-ended, and critics say a new one is needed to limit Obama's IS actions.

- In to win? -

"I think it's incredibly poor judgment by the administration, regardless of their believing they have the authorities already to do what they're doing, not to seek aggressively and explicitly an authorization for the use of military force," fumed Senator Bob Corker.

He is the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, which is drafting a "tailored AUMF" for congressional consideration.

Senate Democrat Chris Murphy said such a limited AUMF could win approval. Independent Senator Angus King said he thought the White House would not be opposed.

And moderate Republican Senator Susan Collins said she would hope to have the opportunity to "put constraints" on such an AUMF if needed.

Yet Boehner acknowledged that some Republicans are gunning for tougher action.

They include conservative Michele Bachmann, who invoked America's past battlefield glory as she pressed the case.

"We need to make a decision like we did in World War II: either we're in to win, or we're out. And that is not the strategy that the president proposed," she said.

Some Democrats, including Senators Mark Begich and Mark Udall, who are locked in tough re-election battles, and Murphy warn of dangers of equipping moderate Syrian rebels, who are accused of collaborating with extremist groups.

"We don't have the luxury of time when it comes to air strikes inside Iraq against ISIS," Murphy said. "But we have time when it comes to the question of what our policy on the Syrian civil war will be."

Congress recently has flexed its muscles to thwart war-related executive action.

It blocked the proposed transfer of Guantanamo detainees to US soil, initiated touch sanctions against Iran over its nuclear program and killed Obama's plan last year to bomb regime forces in Syria.

And in an effort to reclaim its war-making powers, the House of Representatives voted last July to require congressional authorization for any sustained presence of combat troops in Iraq.

.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








WAR REPORT
Israeli army launches 5 criminal probes over Gaza war
Tel Aviv (AFP) Sept 10, 2014
Israel's army has launched five criminal investigations into incidents involving its forces during the Gaza war, a top legal official said on Wednesday, two weeks after a truce took hold. The United Nations and international rights groups have condemned Israel for numerous attacks which resulted in heavy civilian casualties, in a conflict that killed more than 2,140 Palestinians. The ar ... read more


WAR REPORT
Proton Launches May Compete on Price With US Falcons

SpaceX's next cargo launch set for Sept 20

MEASAT-3b and Optus 10 given go-ahead for Ariane 5 Sept 11 launch

SpaceX launches AsiaSat 6 satellite

WAR REPORT
Flash-Memory Reformat On Opportunity Underway

Mars Rover Opportunity's Vista Includes Long Tracks

MAVEN Spacecraft Makes Final Preparations For Mars

Robots do battle over Mars exploration

WAR REPORT
Year's final supermoon is a Harvest Moon

China Aims for the Moon, Plans to Bring Back Lunar Soil

Electric Sparks May Alter Evolution of Lunar Soil

China to test recoverable moon orbiter

WAR REPORT
New Horizons Crosses Neptune Orbit On Route To First Pluto Flyby

From Pinpoint of Light to a Geologic World

New Horizons Spies Charon Orbiting Pluto

ALMA telescope sizes up Pluto's orbit

WAR REPORT
First evidence for water ice clouds found outside solar system

NRL Scientist Explores Birth of a Planet

How NASA's New Carbon Observatory Will Help Us Understand Alien Worlds

Orion Rocks! Pebble-Size Particles May Jump-Start Planet Formation

WAR REPORT
Europe readies 'space plane' for sub-orbital test flight

World's Largest Spacecraft Welding Tool for Space Launch System Completed

Putin Approves Developing Super-Heavy Rockets With Up to 150-Ton Cargo Capacity

NASA Completes Battery of Tests on Composite Cryotank

WAR REPORT
China completes construction of advanced space launch facility

China to launch second space lab in 2016: official

China's Space Station is Still On Track

China launches remote sensing satellite

WAR REPORT
A Map of Rosetta's Comet

Rosetta Comet is Darker than Charcoal

Comet to pass Earth close enough for binoculars

Small Asteroid to Safely Pass Close to Earth Sunday




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.