Space Travel News  
SINO DAILY
Two dozen Hong Kong activists in court over banned Tiananmen vigil
By Su Xinqi
Hong Kong (AFP) Sept 15, 2020

Hong Kong activists denounced Beijing and called for democracy in a courtroom on Tuesday as two dozen high profile campaigners appeared over a banned vigil to mark the Tiananmen Square crackdown.

Tens of thousands of Hong Kongers defied a ban on rallies on June 4 to mark the anniversary of Beijing's deadly suppression of students pushing for democracy.

The annual vigil has been held in Hong Kong for the last three decades and usually attracts huge crowds, but this year's gathering was banned for the first time with authorities citing coronavirus measures -- even though local transmission had largely been halted.

The group of defendants at West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts represents a broad section of the pro-democracy movement, from 72-year-old media mogul Jimmy Lai to younger campaigners such as 23-year-old Joshua Wong.

The 26 accused are charged with either participating in or inciting others to take part in an unlawful assembly. The incitement charge carries up to five years in jail.

Each defendant at the procedural hearing was asked if they understood the charges they face, and many used the opportunity to voice their views.

"I understand," 64-year-old Leung Kwok-hung, known as "Long Hair", said. "The ruthless regime cannot run away from the crime of a massacre. End one party rule."

Figo Chan, 24, said: "I understand. Shame on political suppression. Free all political prisoners."

The court heard two of the defendants -- Nathan Law and Sunny Cheung -- were not present because they have fled Hong Kong.

- 'Not a crime' -

Earlier, supporters gathered outside court to shout slogans and display banners defending their right to hold a Tiananmen vigil.

"It's not a crime to mourn June 4," one poster read, while another said: "Oppose political prosecutions, Protest political suppression."

Veteran activist Lee Cheuk-yan, 63, told the crowd over a loudspeaker: "We must reiterate that mourning June 4 is not a crime."

The vigil, traditionally held in Victoria Park, has taken on particular significance in recent years as the semi-autonomous city chafes under Beijing's increasingly authoritarian rule.

Lee added: "Suppression suffered by activists on June 4, 1989, is very similar to what Hong Kong people suffered in the past year."

Some of those charged face separate prosecutions related to last year's huge and often violent pro-democracy protests.

China's leaders have rejected calls to give Hong Kongers universal suffrage, and portrayed the protests as a plot by foreigners to destabilise the motherland.

In late June, Beijing imposed a sweeping national security law aimed at stamping out the demonstrations once and for all.

The legislation targets subversion, secession, terrorism and foreign collusion, with sentences including life in prison.

But its broad phrasing -- such as a ban on encouraging hatred towards China's government -- has sent fear rippling through a city used to being able to speak its mind.


Related Links
China News from SinoDaily.com


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


SINO DAILY
Under Beijing's watchful eye, Joshua Wong treads fine line
Hong Kong (AFP) Sept 10, 2020
Not a day goes by without Hong Kong democracy activist Joshua Wong wondering how long it will be before the police's new national security unit comes for him. The 23-year-old is the city's most high-profile political dissident, and has twice been jailed for leading anti-government protests in the city. But since Beijing imposed a draconian new security law in July, the stakes have risen significantly. "Every day when I sleep, I can't imagine when will the police storm into my home," Wong tol ... read more

Comment using your Disqus, Facebook, Google or Twitter login.



Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle

SINO DAILY
SINO DAILY
The ERC 2020 shows how to adapt in a post-pandemic world

Surprise on Mars

NASA Readies Perseverance Mars Rover's Earthly Twin

Nereidum Montes a mountain landscape formed by water, ice and wind

SINO DAILY
New gears can withstand impact, temps during lunar missions

Has Earth's oxygen rusted the Moon for billions of years

Orion program completes key review for Artemis I

China's Chang'e-4 probe survives 600 Earth days on Moon's far side

SINO DAILY
Technology ready to explore subsurface oceans on Ganymede

Large shift on Europa was last event to fracture its surface

The Sun May Have Started Its Life with a Binary Companion

Ganymede covered by giant crater

SINO DAILY
SETI Institute and GNU Radio join forces

New observations show planet-forming disc torn apart by its three central stars

Did meteorite impacts help create life on Earth and beyond

Manchester experts' breakthrough narrows intelligent life search in Milky Way

SINO DAILY
India eyes hypersonic cruise missile with domestically-made scramjet engine

Rocket Lab Granted FAA Operator License for Missions from Launch Complex 2

With DUST-2 launch, NASA's sounding rocket program is back on the range

Plasma propulsion for small satellites

SINO DAILY
China's reusable spacecraft returns to Earth after 2 days

Mars-bound Tianwen 1 hits milestone

China's Mars probe over 8m km away from Earth

China seeks payload ideas for mission to moon, asteroid

SINO DAILY
Meteorites show transport of material in early solar system

Rainbow comet with a heart of sponge

Meteorite study suggests Earth may have been wet since it formed

NASA's Lucy mission one step closer to exploring the Trojan Asteroids









The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.