Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




THE STANS
Swedish-British journalist gunned down in Kabul
by Staff Writers
Kabul, Afghanistan (AFP) March 11, 2014


A gunman shot dead a Swedish-British journalist at close range in central Kabul on Tuesday in an unexplained daylight murder that shocked foreign residents living in a city on high alert ahead of elections.

Taliban militants denied responsibility for the shooting in an upmarket district of the Afghan capital close to a restaurant where the insurgents killed 21 people, including 13 foreigners, in an attack in January.

Sweden's ambassador to Afghanistan, Peter Semneby, identified the dead man as Nils Horner, 51, a journalist for Swedish national radio.

"He had British nationality in addition to his Swedish nationality. His family has been informed," Semneby told AFP.

Police said the attackers escaped the scene on foot and had not been caught after the assassination-style killing.

A witness described hearing a single gunshot fired before seeing Horner fall to the ground, and a doctor at Kabul's emergency hospital said he was dead on arrival.

"There were two guys who ran away. They were perhaps in their 20s and security guards chased them as they ran away," the witness told AFP on condition of anonymity.

- Experienced reporter -

Security forces cordoned off the street, where blood could be seen on the ground.

Horner, hired by Sveriges Radio in 2001, was an experienced reporter who had been in Afghanistan to witness the fall of the Taliban in 2001 and in Iraq during the war in 2003. He also covered the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

"This is one of the worst days in the history of Sveriges Radio," said station chief Cilla Benko.

"Nils was one of our absolutely best and most experienced correspondents... He was in Kabul three to four times a year. He knew the town and had carried out security checks.

"He was shot in the back of the head in an area not considered to be a risk zone."

According to journalists in Kabul, Hong Kong-based Horner arrived in Afghanistan on Sunday and had planned to stay about a week or 10 days.

"Among Swedish journalists, he was a legend," Johan Nylander, a Swedish freelance journalist based in Hong Kong, told AFP.

"For many years, he didn't even have an apartment. Hong Kong was the first place he put down his suitcase for half a decade."

- City on edge -

The killing comes less than a month before presidential elections in Afghanistan on April 5 and the withdrawal of NATO combat troops by the end of 2014 after 13 years of fighting the Taliban.

On Tuesday, many of the Afghan capital's security forces were on duty at the funeral of Vice-President Marshal Mohammad Qasim Fahim, who died on Sunday.

Horner had recently released a radio piece reporting on Fahim's death, and was researching a story about the restaurant attack in January when he was shot nearby.

The Taliban, who have led the insurgency against the Western-backed government since being toppled from power in 2001, denied any link to the murder.

"We checked with our mujahideen and they are not involved," Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told AFP. "We don't take responsibility for this incident."

Foreigners have been targeted before at guesthouses, luxury hotels and embassies in the heavily guarded city, but few have been gunned down in the street.

The Wazir Akbar Khan district is home to several embassies and is one of most highly protected parts of the city.

The attack in January on the Taverna du Liban, a Lebanese restaurant popular with foreigners, was the deadliest on foreign civilians since the Taliban were ousted.

After that attack, security restrictions were tightened for many of the diplomats, aid workers and journalists based in Kabul, where international staff often live and work in fortified compounds.

The next president will face a testing new era as the Afghan army and police attempt to impose security without NATO assistance and as international funding declines.

Among the front-runners in the election are Abdullah Abdullah, who came second in 2009, former foreign minister Zalmai Rassoul and former World Bank economist Ashraf Ghani.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





THE STANS
China official says evidence against Uighur academic 'irrefutable'
Beijing (AFP) March 06, 2014
A top official from China's restive Xinjiang region said Thursday the evidence against a prominent Uighur academic whose detention has been condemned by Washington was "irrefutable". Ilham Tohti, an economist who teaches at the Central University for Nationalities in Beijing, has been a vocal critic of Beijing's policies toward his mostly Muslim Uighur minority, who are concentrated in Xinj ... read more


THE STANS
Payload prep continues for Arianespace Soyuz for Sentinel-1A

Russia to Start Building New Manned Rocket Launch Pad in 2015

New Vostochny space center a key priority for Russian Far East

'Mission of Firsts' Showcased New Range-Safety Technology at NASA Wallops

THE STANS
Relay Radio on Mars-Bound NASA Craft Passes Checkout

Robotic Arm Crushes Rock for Study

NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover Views Striated Ground

NASA Mars Orbiter Views Opportunity Rover on Ridge

THE STANS
Control circuit malfunction troubles China's Yutu

China's Lunar Lander Still Operational

China Focus: Uneasy rest begins for China's troubled Yutu rover

Is Yutu Stuck?

THE STANS
New Horizons Reaches the Final 4 AU

Thanks America, New Horizons Ahead

Countdown to Pluto

A Busy Year Begins for New Horizons

THE STANS
What Would A Rocky Exoplanet Look Like? Atmosphere Models Seek Clues

Super-Earth' may be dead worlds

Kepler Mission Announces a Planet Bonanza, 715 New Worlds

Water is Detected in a Planet Outside Our Solar System

THE STANS
Sierra Nevada Completes Dream Chaser Flight Profile Data Milestone

Japan Calls For New Launcher Proposals

US considers launching production of Russian rocket engines

Orion Stage Adapter Aces Structural Loads Testing

THE STANS
China expects to launch cargo ship into space around 2016

China capable of exploring Mars

Preparation for Chang'e-5 launch on schedule

China has no plans for lunar base project

THE STANS
Silently and patiently streaking through the main asteroid belt

Asteroid to make close pass by Earth

NEOWISE Spies Its First Comet

Radar Images of near-Earth Asteroid 2006 DP14




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.