Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




AFRICA NEWS
Radical Nigeria cleric rejects place on amnesty panel
by Staff Writers
Kano, Nigeria (AFP) April 18, 2013


File image: Datti Ahmed.

A radical Muslim cleric on Thursday rejected his nomination by Nigeria's president to a panel studying an amnesty offer to Islamist insurgents, saying he does not trust the government.

Datti Ahmed told reporters that Nigeria's government "is not sincere and will not honour any recommendations the amnesty committee will come up with."

He said the panel's report could be subject to tampering.

President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday announced the 26-member panel charged with looking at how amnesty should be offered to Boko Haram, an Islamist group blamed for killing thousands since 2009.

Jonathan had initially resisted the amnesty idea, but changed his position as pressure mounted, notably from leaders in the mainly Muslim north, the region hardest hit by insurgency.

Ahmed is a member of the radical Salafi branch of Islam and heads the Supreme Council of Sharia (Islamic law) in Nigeria, a group to which slain Boko Haram founder, Mohammed Yusuf, once belonged.

He was among several critics that Jonathan named to the panel, but it is not clear if his rejection of the offer will prove significant.

Shehu Sani, a prominent rights activist based in the north, rejected his own nomination late Wednesday, saying the authorities did not consult him before he was named.

It is unclear whether an amnesty offer would help reduce the violence, or whether members of the radical Islamist group are open to the proposal.

In an audio recording sent to AFP last week, Boko Haram's purported leader Abubakar Shekau, designated a global terrorist by the United States, rejected the idea.

The Boko Haram insurgency is estimated to have left more than 3,000 people dead since 2009, including killing by the security services.

.


Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








AFRICA NEWS
Regional bloc to send 2,000 troops to stabilise C.Africa
N'Ddjamena, Chad (AFP) April 18, 2013
Regional leaders on Thursday said they would boost their military force in the Central African Republic by 2,000 soldiers, in a bid to restore order as violence and looting plague the country after a March coup. In a statement issued after a summit hosted by Chad, the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) bloc said the additional troops would assist the transition government " ... read more


AFRICA NEWS
Launch pad problem scrubs launch of Antares rocket for NASA

ILS Proton Launches Anik G1 for Telesat

Ukraine aims to accelerate space industry development

Payload integration is underway for Vega's second mission from the Spaceport

AFRICA NEWS
Accurate pointing by Curiosity

NASA Mars Orbiter Images May Show 1971 Soviet Lander

Opportunity is in position for solar conjunction at 'Cape York' on the rim of Endeavour Crater

NASA spacecraft may have spotted pieces of Soviet spacecraft on Mars

AFRICA NEWS
Characterizing The Lunar Radiation Environment

Russia rekindles Moon exploration program, intends setting up first human outposts there

Pre-existing mineralogy may survive lunar impacts

Lunar cycle determines hunting behaviour of nocturnal gulls

AFRICA NEWS
'Vulcan' wins Pluto moon name vote

Public to vote on names for Pluto moons

The PI's Perspective: The Seven-Year Itch

New Horizons Gets a New Year's Workout

AFRICA NEWS
Astronomers find most Earth-like planets yet

Can One Buy the Right to Name a Planet?

Retired Star Found With Planets And Debris Disc

The Great Exoplanet Debate

AFRICA NEWS
The Sounds of Progress: NASA's Space Launch System Engineers Begin Acoustic Testing

Space Shuttle substitute makes headway

NASA Commercial Crew Partner Boeing Completes Launch Vehicle Adapter Review

Swiss firm plans robotic mini-shuttle

AFRICA NEWS
Shenzhou's Shadow Crew

Shenzhou 10 sent to launch site

China's Next Women Astronauts

Shenzhou 10 - Next Stop: Jiuquan

AFRICA NEWS
Bechtel Partners with Planetary Resources for Space Initiative

NASA-Funded Asteroid Tracking Sensor Passes Key Test

How to Target an Asteroid

Comet to Make Close Flyby of Red Planet in October 2014




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement