Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




AFRICA NEWS
Nigeria reinstates 3,000 soldiers dismissed over Boko Haram war
by Staff Writers
Abuja (AFP) Sept 3, 2015


Malian soldier killed in ambush on troops: military
Bamako (AFP) Sept 3, 2015 - Militants killed one soldier and wounded seven more in the second deadly ambush on Malian troops in as many days, the army and the government said on Thursday.

A detachment came under fire around 6:00 pm (1800 GMT) on Wednesday near the town of Diafarabe, in the central region of Mopti, according to a statement from the military, which added that one soldier was still missing.

The statement did not say who was behind the attack but described it as a "terrorist act".

The government condemned the bloodshed and said in a statement it encouraged troops to continue to "fight tirelessly against terrorism" and to protect Malians and their property.

The attack on Wednesday came the day after two Malian soldiers were killed in a pre-dawn "heavy arms" attack against an army checkpoint outside Timbuktu in northern Mali, according to the defence ministry and a UN source told AFP.

The violence follows a deadly ambush on August 3, also in the Timbuktu region, when 10 soldiers were killed at their camp at Gourma-Rharous by what was believed to be jihadist fighters linked to Islamist group Ansar Dine.

Jihadist groups linked to Al-Qaeda seized control of Mali's vast arid north from March 2012 until January 2013 when they were pushed back by forces from France, the country's former colonial ruler.

But parts of the remote north remain out of the control of the army or of the UN military mission as the country struggles to restore peace.

There were hopes of a return to stability in May when northern-based loyalist militias signed a peace deal with Tuareg rebels in the area, but the security situation remains fragile.

The Nigerian army said Thursday it had reinstated some 3,000 soldiers who were dismissed for alleged indiscipline in the battle against Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast.

Army spokesman Colonel Sani Usman told reporters in Abuja that a total of 5,000 cases were reviewed, out of which 3,032 soldiers were pardoned and recalled.

"The reinstated soldiers have shown their total readiness to be re-launched into the theatre to combat insurgency and have now commenced re-training exercise," he said.

Usman said the army authorities had upheld the sentences of those "with criminal cases", without explaining the nature of the crimes.

He said a judicial process would however determine the fate of 66 soldiers sentenced to death for mutiny and abandoning the war front.

"The condemned soldiers have already filed for appeal. So it is in the judicial process and it is on," he said.

Nigerian troops based in the northeast have at times defied orders to battle Boko Haram Islamists, citing a lack of adequate weapons and other essential equipment.

Last year, soldiers based in the northeastern city of Maiduguri set up a protest camp after being ordered to deploy to a remote part of the region to fight Boko Haram.

Wives of soldiers launched a separate protest outside a barracks, claiming their husbands were being used as cannon fodder and were being sent to battle insurgents who had vastly superior weapons.

A military court last December sentenced 54 soldiers to death for refusing to deploy and take on Boko Haram in the northeast.

Twelve received the same sentence in September last year for mutiny after shots were fired at their commanding officer.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





AFRICA NEWS
China's Xi calls indicted Sudanese leader Bashir 'old friend'
Beijing (AFP) Sept 1, 2015
China's President Xi Jinping on Tuesday welcomed Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir - who has been indicted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court - as an "old friend of the Chinese people". Bashir is one of the foreign heads of state attending a huge military parade on Thursday to mark the 70th anniversary of Japan's surrender in World War II. Major western leaders have shunned ... read more


AFRICA NEWS
Preparations with both passengers ongoing at Kourou

Countdown for Indian rocket GSLV launch to begin on August 26

Galileo satellites are "topped off" for Arianespace's upcoming Soyuz launch

ARSAT-2 arrives in French Guiana

AFRICA NEWS
One year and counting: Mars isolation experiment begins

HI-SEAS launches year-long isolation experiment to mimic life on Mars

Nine Real NASA Technologies in 'The Martian'

Opportunity gives clay-mineral rocks get closer inspection

AFRICA NEWS
Russia Gets Ready for New Moon Landing

ASU chosen to lead lunar CubeSat mission

Russia's moon landing plan hindered by financial distress

Research May Solve Lunar Fire Fountain Mystery

AFRICA NEWS
New Horizons Team Selects Potential Kuiper Belt Flyby Target

Scientists study nitrogen provision for Pluto's atmosphere

Flowing nitrogen ice glaciers seen on Pluto

New Horizons 'Captures' Two of Pluto's Smaller Moons

AFRICA NEWS
A new model of gas giant planet formation

Planetary pebbles were building blocks for the largest planets

Solar System formation don't mean a thing without that spin

Gemini-discovered world is most like Jupiter

AFRICA NEWS
Need for Speed: Star Trek Warp Drive is Within Our Grasp

NASA Considers Using Old Water Tanks in New ISS Storage System

Russia to Build New Medium-Class Carrier Rocket by 2022

Will Rockets Ever Be Reliable

AFRICA NEWS
China's "sky eyes" help protect world heritage Angkor Wat

China's space exploration potential has US chasing its own tail

China to deploy space-air-ground sensors for environment protection

Chinese earth station is for exclusively scientific and civilian purposes

AFRICA NEWS
Dawn Sends Sharper Scenes from Ceres

UA Cameras Give Sight to NASA's OSIRIS-REx Mission

Rosetta hits 'milestone' in comet's run past Sun

Rosetta hits 'milestone' in comet's run past Sun




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.