Space Travel News
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Doubts raised over Papua New Guinea landslide toll
Doubts raised over Papua New Guinea landslide toll
by AFP Staff Writers
Port Moresby (AFP) May 29, 2024

Papua New Guinea's estimate that 2,000 people were buried in a highland landslide was called into question Wednesday, with satellite imagery, disaster experts and local officials suggesting the toll is much lower.

As Prime Minister James Marape told parliament an "initial estimation" that "over 2,000 people would have perished", questions were being asked privately about how this figure was reached.

So far six bodies have been recovered from the sea of debris and Papua New Guinea's under-resourced officials have struggled to fully grasp the scale of the tragedy.

Nearly a week after Mount Mungalo gave way, heavy machinery has yet to reach the disaster zone. Only a small fraction of the earth has been sifted so far.

Conflicting estimates about how many were in the landslide's path, as well as the low body and injury count have fuelled doubts about the approximated death toll of 2,000.

Local ward councillor Jamain Yandam told AFP "the exact number of victims is still not known" and the 2,000 estimate was based on assumptions about the population of two affected wards, Yambeli and Lapak.

Community leader Miok Michael said that 19 of his relatives were missing and feared dead, but he also admits the true toll remains unclear.

"There is no proper assessment done," he told AFP. "From what I heard from the ground it is some hundreds, but not confirmed yet."

It "needs a proper assessment team to get correct figures", he said.

- Eye in the sky -

While locals are digging with their hands to find loved ones, there is a deep reluctance among foreign governments and aid agencies to publicly question the scale of a national disaster.

Estimates about fatalities, home losses and the local population have significant implications for scaling the response effort, and for donor funding.

Landslide expert and University of Hull vice-chancellor David Petley said he was "very doubtful" that the toll of 2,000 was accurate.

"For a landslide of this size, this is the sort of loss of life you'd see in a city," he told AFP, pointing to satellite imagery before and after the slide.

"The pre-failure images just don't support the idea that there was that concentration of people," he said.

Satellite images from June 2023 show 40 visible structures in the area around the landslide, according to an AFP analysis.

According to ward councillor Yandam, 10 to 18 people could live in a large roundhouse, and five in a smaller hut -- putting estimated fatalities in the hundreds, not thousands.

Some Papua New Guinea officials claim a recent influx of people fleeing tribal violence has raised the number of homes to over 100.

CARE Papua New Guinea official Justine McMahon cautioned that many homes in the area are made out of bush material and may not be picked up by satellite images.

But she also expressed doubt about the 2,000 toll.

"The death toll is very high," she told AFP. "I would be a bit sceptical, to be honest."

- Difficult data -

Some of Papua New Guinea's official estimates appear to be based on extrapolations from notoriously unreliable census data, or voter rolls.

The last census took place in 2011 and efforts to carry out a new tally in 2021 failed, in part because census takers lacked funding and training.

Like the site of the landslide, much of the country is mountainous and covered in dense bushland or jungle.

Neighbouring valleys are often completely isolated from one another. There are very few sealed roads outside the biggest cities.

Some of the population estimates are also based on electoral roll data from 2022.

There, officials said they counted the number of registered voters and added 42 percent -- to account for the estimated number of children not old enough to vote.

That has led to an estimate of 7,850 people in the two affected wards.

But John Burton, a former lecturer in disaster risk management in Papua New Guinea, said suggestions that the two wards have been entirely covered by rubble "are totally inaccurate".

"The whole landslip is between eight and nine hectares. But most of that is steep slopes", he told AFP.

"I don't want to minimise the gravity of this disaster," he said, but added that "all the estimates beyond 300 are implausible."

Landslide expert Petley warned the true toll may never be known.

"The volume of debris is very large. It has a high boulder content, so these will be difficult to excavate and move," he said.

"This will not be a case of people simply being buried. This landslide was a very violent event, with all the implications that carries for fragile human bodies."

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters
Tweet

RELATED CONTENT
The following news reports may link to other Space Media Network websites.
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Aid reaches Papua New Guinea landslide site
Port Moresby (AFP) May 29, 2024
Supplies of food and medicine began arriving at the scene of a deadly landslide in Papua New Guinea Wednesday, with aid workers discovering children rendered mute by the shock of the disaster. Papua New Guinea's government estimates that as many as 2,000 people may be buried underneath a massive landslide that struck a thriving highland settlement in Enga province in the early hours of May 24. Only six bodies have so far been pulled from the mountain of churned-up earth after days of frantic dig ... read more

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
DISASTER MANAGEMENT
RNA study reveals potential for life in Mars' extreme environments

Redwire to lead Mars imaging study for NASA

Astrobotic to conduct NASA JPL studies for Mars missions

NASA and ESA Collaborate on ExoMars Rosalind Franklin Rover

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Lithuania becomes 40th nation to join NASA's Artemis Accords

World's first high-definition lunar geologic atlas revealed

NASA Tests Moonwalk Technology in Arizona Desert

Catalyzing a Lunar Economy: DARPA's Initial Findings from LunA-10 Study

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Peering into Pluto's hidden ocean

Probing for Rocks in an Ice Giant's Core

NASA's Juno captures detailed images of Europa's surface

New Horizons expand research with unique observations

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ASU researchers address methane mystery of exoplanet

NASA Tool Gets Ready to Image Faraway Planets

Webb reveals details of exoplanet's interior

Researchers Discover New Insights into Carbene Formation

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
First crewed Boeing Starliner flight delayed again

SpaceX launches Starlink satellites in second mission of the day

NASA's Psyche Thrusters Propel Spacecraft Toward Asteroid

Boeing Starliner crewed test flight delayed indefinitely

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Zebrafish on China's space station reported to be in good condition

China sends experimental satellite into orbit with Long March 4C rocket

International Support for China's Chang'e-6 Lunar Mission

Shenzhou XVII astronauts safely back from Tiangong space station

DISASTER MANAGEMENT
Hera tests CubeSat communication for asteroid mission

UCF Student's Primitive Asteroids Work Provides Context for Further Research, Future NASA Missions

Exploring asteroid Apophis using miniature satellites

'Baby asteroid' just a toddler in space years, researchers say

Subscribe Free To Our Daily Newsletters




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us.