Space Travel News  
NUKEWARS
Choose dialogue or war, N. Korea tells South

by Staff Writers
Seoul (AFP) March 31, 2011
North Korea told South Korea Thursday to choose between dialogue or war, as Seoul made its first concession on aid since the North's deadly bombardment of a border island last November.

The communist state accused Seoul "warmongers" of whipping up hysteria and confrontation over two deadly frontier incidents last year.

Relations have been icy since the South accused the North of torpedoing a warship in March 2010 with the loss of 46 lives.

Tensions rose further after the shelling of the South's Yeonpyeong island, which killed four people including civilians.

The South demands its neighbour accept the blame for both incidents before relations can improve.

But Thursday's statement, from the inspection group of the North's most powerful body the National Defence Commission, repeated denials of involvement in the warship's sinking near the disputed Yellow Sea borderline.

It also reiterated claims that the South provoked the island bombardment by staging its own artillery drill, which dropped shells into waters claimed by Pyongyang.

"The South Korean authorities and puppet military warmongers should properly understand that they are standing at the crossroads where they should choose between dialogue and war," the statement said.

The South's military said it was open to talks if the North suggested them, but warned of tough punishment for any fresh attacks.

Defence Minister Kim Kwan-Jin also insisted the North apologise for last year's incidents -- an issue which led to the breakdown of military talks in February.

"If North Korea launches another military attack, our military will swiftly and strongly punish the enemy's forces until they surrender," he said in a televised debate.

The South has strengthened border defences so it could immediately strike "the sources of attack as well as its supporting forces", Kim said.

Earlier in the day, the South announced it would allow a private group to send aid across the border for the first time since last November.

The unification ministry, which must by law authorise cross-border contacts, said it has approved a request by the Eugene Bell Foundation to send tuberculosis medicine to the North worth 336 million won ($305,000).

The foundation, dedicated to providing medical aid to the North, is a US group with a South Korean subsidiary.

A United Nations report last week painted a dire picture of the humanitarian situation in the impoverished state.

"There have been voices that at least civic groups should be allowed to send aid to North Korea. The government has taken these factors into account," Yonhap news agency quoted a ministry official as saying.

The ministry would consider other requests by relief groups to send humanitarian aid, the unidentified official was quoted as saying.

The World Food Programme and other UN agencies said in their report last week that more than six million Northerners urgently need food assistance.

The North has appealed to the United States and a variety of other countries for food aid.

In a change of tack this year, it has also been calling for dialogue with the South -- but refuses to accept responsibility for last year's deaths.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NUKEWARS
Activists defy N. Korea, launch anti-Kim leaflets
Seoul (AFP) March 31, 2011
South Korean activists Thursday launched tens of thousands of anti-regime leaflets across the border into North Korea, defying threats from Pyongyang to open fire on launch sites. Members of Fighters for Free North Korea released gas-filled balloons which carried 200,000 leaflets containing news of Arab uprisings and calling for the overthrow of Kim Jong-Il's regime, the group leader said. ... read more







NUKEWARS
Final Countdown Is Underway For Second Ariane 5 Flight Of 2011

Next Ariane 5 Mission Ready For March 30 Liftoff

Another Ariane 5 Completes Its Initial Build-Up At The Spaceport

Two Ariane 5 And One Soyuz Flights Are Now Being Prepared

NUKEWARS
Next Mars Rover Gets A Test Taste Of Mars Conditions

Alternatives Have Begun In Bid To Hear From Spirit

Opportunity Completes Study Of Ruiz Garcia Rock

Time Is Now For Human Mission To Mars

NUKEWARS
84 Teams To Compete In NASA Great Moonbuggy Race

A New View Of Moon

Super Full Moon

LRO Delivers Treasure Trove Of Data

NUKEWARS
Later, Uranus: New Horizons Passes Another Planetary Milestone

Can WISE Find The Hypothetical Tyche In Distant Oort Cloud

Theory: Solar system has another planet

Launch Plus Five Years: A Ways Traveled, A Ways To Go

NUKEWARS
NASA Announces 2011 Carl Sagan Fellows

Report Identifies Priorities For Planetary Science 2013-2022

Planetary Society Statement On Planetary Science Decadal Survey For 2013-2022

Meteorite Tells Of How Planets Are Born In A Swirl Of Dust

NUKEWARS
TEXUS 49 Lifts Off With Four German Experiments On Board

A Reusable Manned Deep - Space Craft

NASA's Successful 'Can Crush' Will Aid Heavy-Lift Rocket Design

XCOR And ULA Demonstrate Revolutionary Rocket Engine Nozzle Technology

NUKEWARS
What Future for Chang'e-2

China setting up new rocket production base

China's Tiangong-1 To Be Launched By Modified Long March II-F Rocket

China Expects To Launch Fifth Lunar Probe Chang'e-5 In 2017

NUKEWARS
When Is An Asteroid Not An Asteroid

Stardust Fires Up Main Engine For Final Burn

Dawn Opens Its Eyes, Checks Its Instruments

ESA Remembers The Night Of The Comet


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement