Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




WAR REPORT
Chinese war hero Australia's top Gallipoli sniper
By Glenda KWEK
Sydney (AFP) April 21, 2015


File image: Billy Sing.

Billy Sing earned the nicknames "The Murderer" and "The Assassin" as a deadly sniper who shot more than 200 Ottoman troops during the Gallipoli campaign of World War I.

He was also part-Chinese and among thousands from non-European backgrounds, some of whom hid their identity, who joined the Australian Imperial Force to fight for their country despite being legally barred from signing up.

"He was a real Australian, an Australian at heart even though he had Chinese heritage," his great-nephew Don Smith, 62, told AFP from the small Queensland town of Clermont where Sing was born in 1886, 1,600 kilometres (1,000 miles) north of Sydney.

"He put his life on the line for the rest of us so that we can have the life we have today, (like) all the guys that went to war."

Under Australia's 1909 Defence Act, "those who are not substantially of European origin or descent" were blocked from active service.

But some from minority backgrounds including indigenous Australians still stepped forward, trying multiple times despite being rejected.

Of the 416,809 Australians who enlisted in WWI, more than 1,000 were Aborigines while about 400 were estimated to be of Chinese descent. The Australian War Memorial has identified about 50 indigenous people who served in Gallipoli.

"You had to enlist without saying you were of indigenous background at all otherwise you might be turned away, and some were turned away," Robin Prior of Flinders University told AFP, adding that the majority of Australians at that time were of Anglo-Celtic heritage.

"It seems extraordinary now, but that was the law."

In 1917, with recruits harder to find, military orders were relaxed so only one parent needed to be of European origin.

The Australian Imperial Force's Europe campaign began on April 25, 1915 when its soldiers landed at Gallipoli -- a peninsula in what is now Turkey -- together with troops from Britain, France and New Zealand.

It proved to be a disastrous eight-month battle. Of the 60,000 Anzac (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) soldiers who fought, 11,500 died.

Kangaroo shooter

William Edward Sing, who also fought on the Western Front, was born to Chinese father John Sing and English mother Mary Ann Pugh.

Growing up in rural Queensland, Sing was a skilled horse rider, kangaroo hunter and shooter. By the time he enlisted in October 1914 aged 28, he was renowned locally for his shooting prowess.

Such skills, as well as his early enlistment, may have helped him avoid some of the resistance faced by other non-European men, researchers believe.

Sing arrived in Gallipoli in May 1915 with the 5th Light Horse Regiment. His sometimes "spotter" Ion Idriess wrote of his comrade in his memoir 'The Desert Column':

"He is a little chap, very dark, with a jet-black moustache and a goatee beard. A picturesque-looking man-killer. He is a crack sniper of the Anzacs."

Sing was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, an honour second only to the Victoria Cross, in 1916. A military despatch said Trooper 355 killed 201 Turkish troops including his Ottoman counterpart "Abdul the Terrible".

But the illnesses and wounds Sing sustained took their toll and he was in and out of hospital.

Recovering from a gunshot wound in England in 1917, he married 21-year-old Scottish waitress Elizabeth Stewart before returning to the Western Front.

For his service at the September 1917 battle of Polygon Wood, he was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Sing was discharged in Australia in November 1918, with a medical report saying he had been gassed in Belgium. His wife was not believed to have returned to Australia with him.

The war veteran was given land under a "soldier settlement" scheme but failed as a farmer and turned to gold prospecting. He eventually moved to Brisbane and died alone in 1943, aged 57, in a boarding house almost penniless.

While Sing was buried at Brisbane's Lutwyche War Cemetery, Smith said it was only in the 1980s that he and three others pooled money to erect a headstone on his grave.

Equals on the field


Men like Sing signed up because they were driven by a strong sense of patriotism, said Kathie Blunt of the Chinese Heritage Association of Australia.

They were also generally treated the same as their peers, with privates paid six shillings a day with one shilling held back until discharge.

"It was a lot of money because most of these Chinese-Australians came from very low socio-economic backgrounds, so it... was a big deal," Blunt told AFP.

But for indigenous soldiers, the comradeship they experienced during the war reverted back to the same discrimination they faced before leaving Australia.

They were denied access to the settlement scheme -- with only one soldier known to have been given land, and received no official recognition until 2007.

In recent years, more Aboriginal and other troops from multicultural backgrounds have been acknowledged for their sacrifices.

As Australia marks a century since the start of the Gallipoli campaign, Prior said it was important to remember their contributions.

"I think we should be quite amazed that they would be prepared to fight for a country that really discriminated against them," she said.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only


.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





WAR REPORT
Saudi vows to cover UN aid call for Yemen, keeps up air raids
Sanaa (AFP) April 18, 2015
Saudi Arabia pledged Saturday to cover the entire $274 million in humanitarian aid sought by the UN for conflict-torn Yemen, which has also been the target of Saudi-led air strikes against Shiite rebels. The United Nations says hundreds of people have died and thousands of families fled their homes in the war, which has also killed six Saudi security personnel in border skirmishes. At le ... read more


WAR REPORT
Russia Should Consider Launching Super-Heavy Rockets From Vostochny

Rocket tips over after SpaceX recycle attempt

SpaceX bid to recycle rocket fails again

RockSat-X Rescheduled for April 18

WAR REPORT
Mars rover data boosts hope for liquid water on Mars

Examining Rock Outcrop at 'The Spirit of St. Louis' Crater

Mars has belts of glaciers consisting of frozen water

Mars' dust-covered glacial belts may contain tons of water

WAR REPORT
Manned Moon Flight Planned For 2030

A new view of the moon's formation

Moon formed when young Earth and little sister collided

Will the moon's first inhabitants live in giant lava tubes?

WAR REPORT
NASA's New Horizons Nears Historic Encounter with Pluto

Pluto, now blurry, will become clear with NASA flyby

NASA Extends Campaign for Public to Name Features on Pluto

New Horizons Sampling 'Space Weather' on Approach to Pluto

WAR REPORT
Hot and Stormy at High Altitudes on Exoplanet HD 189733b

Small solar eruptions can have profound effects on unprotected planets

The Solar System and Beyond is Awash in Water

Earthlike 'Star Wars' Tatooines may be common

WAR REPORT
US Space Company Unveils New Rocket

Boeing-Lockheed team for Vulcan rocket with reusable engine

Blue Origin completes acceptance testing of BE-3 engine for New Shepard

Russia's Angara launcher becomes cheaper to manufacture

WAR REPORT
Chinese scientists mull power station in space

China completes second test on new carrier rocket's power system

China's Yutu rover reveals Moon's "complex" geological history

China's Space Laboratory Still Cloaked

WAR REPORT
Dawn's Ceres Color Map Reveals Surface Diversity

Scientists hold breath for comet lander to wake

'Dwarf planet' Ceres spawns giant mystery

Comet 67P springs magnetic surprise




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.