Space Travel News  
NUKEWARS
China warns against US-S.Korea war games

UN to issue declaration on Korean ship sinking
United Nations (AFP) July 8, 2010 - The UN Security Council was to meet Thursday at 4:30 pm (2030 GMT) on the alleged sinking of a South Korean warship by North Korea and issue a declaration on the incident, the UN said. South Korea has asked the council to censure Pyongyang over the March torpedo attack which killed 46 sailors, but permanent council members China and Russia have not publicly accepted that the North was to blame. The North has threatened a military response to any censure. If the council adopts a document "pulling up (North Korea) even a bit through sordid collusion and nexus," the North will regard this as "an intolerable and grave infringement" on its dignity, a state body said Wednesday. The army and people "will not rule out a just, do-or-die battle to protect the sovereignty of the country," the Committee for the Peaceful Unification of the Fatherland said.
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) July 8, 2010
China warned the United States and South Korea Thursday against holding joint war games near its waters and urged the two nations to guard against exacerbating festering tensions with North Korea.

The joint military exercises were scheduled after the March sinking of a South Korean warship that Seoul has blamed on a North Korean torpedo attack and which killed 46 sailors and sent regional tensions soaring.

"China has expressed its serious concerns with relevant parties," foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang told reporters when asked about the war games.

"We are firmly opposed to foreign military vessels engaging in activities that undermine China's security interests in the Yellow Sea or waters close to China."

Beijing has refused to condemn its neighbour and close ally North Korea for the alleged attack despite an international probe that blamed the isolated communist state. China has said it was studying the investigation's findings.

China kicked off six days of live-fire military exercises off its eastern coast this week, in what state-controlled media said was a response to the planned US-South Korean war games.

State television this week showed footage of Chinese warships firing advanced missiles and other weaponry in a mock defence of the nation's territorial waters.

No date has been publicly announced for the exercises between the American and South Korean forces.

China, which provides badly needed aid to impoverished North Korean, is obliged by a 1961 treaty to help defend it against unprovoked aggression.

"We hope relevant parties will exercise calm and restraint and refrain from actions that exacerbate tensions in the region," Qin said.

China, a permanent, veto-wielding member of the UN Security Council, is working with other members of the body to formulate a "document" on the alleged attack, he said, giving no other details.

South Korea has asked the UN Security Council to censure Pyongyang but China has so far not lent its support to that call.

earlier related report
S.Korea says N.Korea's blunders caused tensions
Seoul (AFP) July 8, 2010 - South Korea's point man on North Korea blamed the communist state's leaders Thursday for icy cross-border relations, accusing them of blunders both at home and abroad.

Unification Minister Hyun In-Taek said the North has only itself to blame for its international isolation.

Tensions are high after the South accused the North of torpedoing a warship -- an accusation furiously denied by Pyongyang, which has threatened a "do or die" battle in response to any censure at the United Nations over the incident.

A diplomatic source quoted by Yonhap news agency said a UN statement was imminent on the March sinking of the warship, which cost the lives of 46 sailors.

Seoul's defence ministry also announced plans to spend hundreds of millions more dollars strengthening defences against unconventional attacks.

"North Korea argues this (soured relations) happened because of our hardline policy, but the North Korea policy of our government is one based on engagement and embracement," Hyun told business executives in the western city of Incheon.

"Strained relations were not caused by our policy but by their mistakes."

Hyun said "three major mistakes" by the North led to the current situation: rebuffing the South's offer to rebuild the North's economy, taking a hardline approach with the new US administration, and failing to understand its own crumbling economy.

The minister said a failed currency revaluation that the North implemented last November demonstrates an inability to feed its people.

The revaluation -- seen as an attempt by the regime to crack down on private business -- worsened food shortages and sparked rare public unrest.

Relations have deteriorated since South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak took office in February 2008. He offered the North massive economic aid if it scrapped its nuclear weapons programme, a condition which infuriated Pyongyang.

The South announced its own non-military reprisals after a multinational investigation team concluded that a North Korean submarine sank the warship in March with the loss of 46 lives.

It also asked the UN Security Council to censure Pyongyang, but permanent council members China and Russia have not publicly accepted the North's guilt.

The source quoted by Yonhap said negotiations at the United Nations on compromise wording in a statement were in the final stages.

"Negotiations are in the final stage," the source said. "We could have agreement as early as this weekend... at the latest, an agreement will be possible by next week."

The source declined to give details of the statement but suggested it would be weaker than one issued by the Group of Eight nations at last month's summit in Canada.

This did not directly accuse the North of the warship attack. It noted the findings of the investigation and urged Pyongyang to refrain from hostilities against the South.

"However weak a statement comes out, North Korea won't be grateful to China," the source was quoted as saying.

Seoul's defence ministry said it was seeking a rise of 6.9 percent equal to 2.05 trillion won (1.69 billion dollars) in its 2011 budget.

Of this, it wants to spend 844.7 billion won on planes equipped with airborne early warning and control systems or unmanned aerial vehicles, plus about 40 billion to improve anti-submarine capabilities.

The rest of the proposed rise would be used to improve the welfare of soldiers in the largely conscript army. The ministry's total requested budget for next year is 31.6 trillion won.



Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


NUKEWARS
North Korea in more denials
Seoul (UPI) Jul 2, 2010
North Korea's relationship with South Korea dipped further when a Seoul court jailed two North Koreans for plotting to assassinate a high-ranking North Korean defector. South Korean prosecutors wanted 15-year sentences, but the court jailed the two men, identified only as Kim and Tong, both age 36, for 10 years each. Kim and Tong admitted during their trial that they pretended to ... read more







NUKEWARS
Pre-Launch Processing Underway For Ariane 5's Upcoming Launch

SBSS Launch Delayed

ISRO To Launch Five Satellites On July 12

Orbital Rockets Selected To Launch Two NASA Scientific Satellites

NUKEWARS
Opportunity Has Two More Drives

Spirit Still Silent

Opportunity Keeps On Driving To Endeavour Crater

Still Listening For Spirit

NUKEWARS
NASA releases videogame, Moonbase Alpha

Man In The Moon Has 'Graphite Whiskers'

India Hopes To Launch Chandrayaan-2 By 2013

Building A Better Robot Arm For Lunar Rovers

NUKEWARS
Course Correction Keeps New Horizons On Path To Pluto

Scientists See Billions Of Miles Away

System Tests, Science Observations And A Course Correction

Coordinated Stargazing

NUKEWARS
First Directly Imaged Planet Confirmed Around Sun-Like Star

VLT Detects First Superstorm On Exoplanet

Earth-Like Planets May Be Ready For Their Close-Up

Plentiful And Potential Planets

NUKEWARS
Musk goes public on divorce

NASA Preparing For DM-2 Test: Now That's Powerful Information

NASA Tests Engine Technology To Assist With Future Space Vehicle Landings

Aerojet Propellant-Saving Xenon Ion Thruster Exceeds 30,000 Hours

NUKEWARS
China Sends Research Satellite Into Space

China eyes Argentina for space antenna

Seven More For Shenzhou

China Signs Up First Female Astronauts

NUKEWARS
Hayabusa Contains A Hint Of Dust

En route to a comet, European probe to fly by asteroid

Philae And Rosetta Gear Up For Asteroid Lutetia

Japanese lab finds 'minute particles' in asteroid pod


The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2010 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement