Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




THE STANS
China academics say Xinjiang death sentences justified: media
by Staff Writers
Beijing, China (AFP) Aug 13, 2013


Driver who killed China protester released early: media
Beijing, China (AFP) Aug 13, 2013 - A truck driver jailed for crushing a Chinese village chief to death in a case that inspired a film by dissident artist Ai Weiwei has been released early, media said Tuesday.

The death of Qian Yunhui, 53, raised suspicions that he had been murdered for campaigning over land seizures in the eastern province of Zhejiang, and the Global Times said that local residents had "suspected foul play".

Fei Liangyu was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison in February 2011.

But his sentence was reduced because of "good behaviour" and he was released on June 24, said the Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily.

It did not give further details or explain the delay in the news coming to light.

Ai, an internationally renowned avant-garde artist, made a 102-minute film about the incident earlier this year, using footage of the site of the death and interviews with villagers and others about the case.

"Most of the evidence is in the government's hands so you can never really have the full picture of the truth in China in most cases," Ai told AFP by phone Tuesday. Qian, the leader of Zhaiqiao village, had been detained three times since 2005 for repeatedly demanding compensation for farmers after nearly 150 hectares (370 acres) of land was seized for a power station, earlier reports said.

Land requisitions by the authorities, often in collusion with real estate developers, remain one of China's most controversial issues, with officials routinely accused of enriching themselves through arbitrary land grabs.

The ruling Communist Party has expressed mounting concern over such actions as well as corruption and environmental degradation, with thousands of public protests each year. Ai's outspoken criticism of China's leaders and involvement in sensitive social campaigns have made him a thorn in the government's side.

Death sentences for two men over violence in China's ethnically divided western region of Xinjiang earlier this year were justified, official media on Tuesday quoted academics as saying.

The Intermediate People's Court in Xinjiang's Kashgar prefecture sentenced Musa Hesen and Rehman Hupur to die for crimes including murder and taking part in a "terrorist group", the Xinhua news agency reported late Monday.

China blamed the April 23 violence that left 21 people dead on "terrorists", a charge rights groups say is often used to justify the authorities' use of force against members of the mostly Muslim Uighur minority.

Xinjiang, a region more than four times the size of Japan, is 46 percent Uighur and 39 percent Han, China's dominant ethnic group, official figures show.

Many Uighurs complain of religious and cultural repression by Chinese authorities, and the region is regularly hit by unrest.

"Upholding laws during our fight against terrorism helps people at home and abroad get a clearer understanding about terrorist threats in Xinjiang," Li Wei said according to the Global Times, a newspaper affiliated with China's ruling Communist Party.

It described him as an expert on anti-terrorism at the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations.

Turgunjan Tursun, a research fellow at the Xinjiang Academy of Social Science, asserted that the violence was unrelated to ethnic, religious or political issues, according to the paper.

"No matter what banner (the terrorists carry) or slogan (they use), violent attacks are against the law," Tursun told the paper.

"We must punish the crime in accordance with the law, and the sentence was a demonstration of that."

Hesen was accused of leading the group and manufacturing explosives.

Another three men accused of belonging to the group were given prison sentences ranging from nine years to life, Xinhua reported.

All of the defendants reportedly confessed to their crimes in court.

A total of 19 suspects were arrested after the April incident in Kashgar's Bachu county, which saw gunfights break out.

Fifteen police and community workers and six "terrorists" were killed.

Riots involving Uighurs and Han in Xinjiang's capital Urumqi in 2009 killed around 200 people, leading the Communist Party to tighten surveillance and boost investment in the region.

China said in November 2009 that it had executed nine people involved in that unrest. More death sentences were handed down later.

In December three men were condemned to death for trying to hijack an aircraft flying from Hotan to Urumqi, Xinhua reported at the time, saying that they "loudly shouted religious extremist cries" during the incident.

Chinese authorities imposed tight control in Urumqi in early July, the fourth anniversary of the rioting, which came days after two incidents in the region left at least 35 people dead.

.


Related Links
News From Across The Stans






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle








THE STANS
India accuses Pakistan of latest firing in Kashmir
Srinagar, India (AFP) Aug 13, 2013
India's army accused Pakistan on Tuesday of firing across the de facto border that divides Kashmir, in the latest confrontation fuelling tensions between the nuclear-armed rivals. The army said Pakistani soldiers had violated the ceasefire overnight along the heavily militarised Line of Control (LoC) in the disputed Himalayan region. It said in a statement that Pakistani soldiers sta ... read more


THE STANS
EUTELSAT spacecraft ready for integration to Ariane 5

Next Ariane 5 is readied to receive its dual-satellite payload

Russia to restart Proton rocket launches after crash

Japanese rocket takes supplies, robot to space station

THE STANS
Opportunity Reaches Base of 'Solander Point'

NASA launches new Russian-language Mars website

Big ice may explain Mars' double-layer craters

Full Curiosity Traverse Passes One-Mile Mark

THE STANS
NASA Selects Launch Services Contract for OSIRIS-REx Mission

Environmental Controls Move Beyond Earth

Bad night's sleep? The moon could be to blame

Moon Base and Beyond

THE STANS
Pluto Science Conference Exceeds Expectations

SciTechTalk: Grab your erasers, there are more moons than we thought

NASA Hubble Finds New Neptune Moon

NASA finds new moon on Neptune

THE STANS
Astronomers Image Lowest-mass Exoplanet Around a Sun-like Star

New Explorer Mission Chooses the 'Just-Right' Orbit

'Blinking' stellar system may yield clues to planet formation

Pulsating star sheds light on exoplanet

THE STANS
NASA's Space Launch System Completes Preliminary Design Review

Test confirms NASA manned capsule can land even if one parachute lost

N. Korea halts work at long-range rocket site: website

Angular rate sensors at crashed Proton-M rocket were installed 'upside down'

THE STANS
China launches three experimental satellites

Medical quarantine over for Shenzhou-10 astronauts

China's astronauts ready for longer missions

Chinese probe reaches record height in space travel

THE STANS
Researchers identify 12 'easy' candidates for asteroid mining

New NASA Mission to Help Us Learn How to Mine Asteroids

'Lazarus comets' explain Solar System mystery

Dawn's Arrays Keep It Powering Along




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement