Space Travel News  
Africa quakes kill at least 40: officials, hospitals

Twelve dead in Madagascar after cyclone strikes
Twelve people died in Madagascar after cyclone Fame tore through the western portion of the island, according to a death toll released Friday by the island authorities. The cyclone, which struck Sunday, left another 1,450 people homeless, with 5,024 inhabitants of the island tallied as having been affected somehow by the disaster. Most of the victims came from rural areas -- killed by falling trees, collapsing houses, or by drowning, said Colonel Jean Rakotomalala, executive secretary of a government disaster management branch. In total, Fame hit six regions to the west of the country. "While the cyclone came in with quite an incredible force, the small number of deaths shows that training sessions at all levels have borne their fruit," the colonel told AFP. Fame is the first cyclone to wreak havoc in Madagascar since the beginning of the season two months ago. Last year, cyclone Indlala left 150 dead and 30 missing. In March 2004, cyclone Gafilo killed 241 people on the island.
by Staff Writers
Kigali (AFP) Feb 3, 2008
Two strong earthquakes shook the African Great Lakes region on Sunday, killing at least 34 people in Rwanda and six in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to officials and hospital sources.

Hundreds of people were wounded, many with fractured limbs, after the two quakes struck close together along the western Rift Valley fault.

Houses crumbled and deep cracks spread up the walls of buildings in the centre of Bukavu in DR Congo, near the epicentre of the first quake which measured 6.0 on the open-ended Richter scale.

It struck at 0734 GMT some 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the DR Congo town of Bukavu, while a second quake of 5.0 magnitude was recorded at 1056 GMT, Francois Lukaya of the Goma volcanological observatory in Nord-Kivu told AFP.

People ran out of churches packed for Sunday mass as the walls shook.

"According to the figures I have at the moment, 34 people are dead," said Rwandan local government minister Protais Musoni on Sunday afternoon.

Across the border to the east, Radio Rwanda said 10 people were killed "straight away when a church collapsed" in the Rusizi district of Western Province and 13 others died in Rusizi and Nyamesheke districts.

Local authorities in DR Congo said six people had died in the Sud-Kivu region, according to UN-sponsored Okapi radio.

Provincial health officer Manou Burole said 55 people had been wounded there.

Several dozen injured were admitted to the city's general hospital and at least 12 casualties to the Panzi hospital, medical sources said.

Radio Rwanda said 250 wounded were transported to various regional hospitals, and a witness in Rusizi district said public buses were used to transport the casualties.

Rwandan minister Musoni said that the provincial governor was on site and that the police and army were helping with rescue operations.

"Rescue operations are continuing to try to pull people out of the ruins of their houses," he said.

In the DR Congo town of Kabare, north of Bukavu, the walls of a church collapsed on the congregation during the mass, injuring 37, including five seriously, priest Leon Shamavu told AFP by telephone.

"People are panicking so much they're afraid to return home. They're afraid of being surprised by aftershocks and prefer to stay outside," a Rusizi resident told AFP.

The quakes were also strongly felt in neighbouring Burundi, south of Rwanda, Francois Lukaya, a scientist at the Goma observatory in North Kivu told AFP.

All Burundian hydroelectric dams stopped, causing a half-hour power cut, a water authority official said.

The quake and its aftershocks also shook the Burundian capital, Bujumbura, around 120 kilometres south of its epicentre.

"I felt a very strong shock shake my house. The walls shook really hard," a resident told AFP.

The first quake was one of the "biggest earthquakes ever recorded in the Kivu region," Lukaya told AFP.

A powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake rocked the region in December 2005 but, while it is prone to seismic activity, it has mostly escaped major quake damage in recent years.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
When the Earth Quakes
A world of storm and tempest



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Paired Earthquakes Separated In Time And Space
Union Town PA (SPX) Feb 01, 2008
Earthquakes occurring at the edges of tectonic plates can trigger events at a distance and much later in time, according to a team of researchers reporting in the latest issue of Nature. These doublet earthquakes may hold an underestimated hazard, but may also shed light on earthquake dynamics.







  • Companies Team Up For Advanced Airbag Landing And Flotation System For Orion Vehicle
  • Russia May Build New Shuttle Spacecraft By 2015
  • SPACEX Conducts First Multi-Engine Firing Of Falcon 9 Rocket
  • Virgin's Branson presents new space ship

  • Khrunichev Center Signs New Contract For Proton-M Launches
  • ILS To Launch Yahsat Satellite On Proton
  • TEXUS Research Rockets To Launch On 31 January And 7 February 2008
  • Russian space center to launch boosters

  • Columbus Set For February 7 Launch Aboard Atlantis
  • Shuttle Atlantis due to launch February 7
  • NASA to televise Columbia remembrance
  • Shuttle Tank Connector Repairs Stretch Boundaries

  • ISS astronauts repair solar array during 7-hr spacewalk
  • Crew Oxygen For ISS Loaded On Jules Verne
  • Station Crew Ready For Wednesday's Spacewalk
  • Europe sets launch window for maiden mission of space freighter

  • India, U.S. sign space agreement
  • Beatles song directed into deep space
  • NASA Issues Environmental Impact Statement For Constellation
  • NASA Uses Vertical Treadmill To Improve Astronaut Health In Space

  • China May Broadcast First Taikonaut Spacewalk Live
  • Chinese Taikonaut Dismisses Environment Worries About New Space Launch Center
  • China To Boost Civil Industrialization With Xian Base
  • China Set To Launch Manned Space Mission In 2008

  • Meet Blob The Robot
  • Russian Fuel Flows Into Jules Verne Automated Transfer Vehicle
  • ESA Training Team ATV
  • Honda's ASIMO robot gets smarter

  • Mars In Their Sights
  • Lyell Panorama Inside Victoria Crater Mars Four Years On Mars
  • Traces Of The Martian Past In The Terby Crater
  • HiRISE Camera Details Dynamic Wind Action On Mars

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement