Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
  Space Travel News  




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



100th British soldier killed this year in Afghanistan

Afghan, NATO strike destroys Taliban bastion: officials
Asadabad, Afghanistan (AFP) Dec 7, 2009 - NATO warplanes pounded a Taliban stronghold in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, killing more than 20 insurgents and destroying a bunker complex, military officials said. Noor Akbar, a regional Taliban commander was among those killed in the raid in the province of Kunar, a mountainous region and Taliban flashpoint area near the Pakistan border, Afghan army general Mohammad Qasim Bitanai told AFP. "More than 20 Taliban fighters, including their commander Noor Akbar, were killed in the raid," he said. The NATO-run International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said it called in an air strike that demolished a Taliban stronghold in the province's Watapur district but did not give details of casualties. "An international security force conducted an air strike today and destroyed a known Taliban stronghold consisting of bunkers and prepared defensive positions in Kunar province.

"The security force targeted the stronghold near the village of Tsangar Darah in the mountainous Watapur district after intelligence sources indicated militant activity at the location," ISAF said. The Afghan general said the operation was coordinated between Afghan and foreign forces, which currently number around 113,000 in the country. Several other rebels were killed in operations elsewhere in the province of Paktika, also in the east, ISAF said without giving a figure. US President Barack Obama last week ordered 30,000 more troops to the war-torn country as NATO allies pledged at least an extra 7,000 soldiers as part of a sweeping new strategy to crush a surge in Taliban violence. The Taliban have made a deadly come-back since the 2001 US-led invasion toppled their regime in Kabul, forcing commanders to demand reinforcements in a bid to win a war increasingly unpopular in Western capitals.
by Staff Writers
London (AFP) Dec 7, 2009
The British death toll in Afghanistan this year reached 100 on Monday as another soldier was killed in the violence-scarred country, but London insisted the increasingly unpopular fight is not in vain.

The soldier, from 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment, was killed by small arms fire in Nad-e Ali in the troubled southern Helmand Province, the Ministry of Defence said in a statement.

His death brings to 237 the total number of British troops who have died in Afghanistan since operations began in October 2001. At least 205 were killed as a result of hostile action.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said in a statement that every loss was a "real and personal tragedy", adding that British troops had to complete their mission.

"We will never forget those who have died fighting for our country and we must also honour their memory. That means staying the course, doing what is right for Britain, and seeing this mission through," he said.

Polls show the war has become increasingly unpopular this year, with Brown coming under severe criticism for his handling of the campaign and the government facing accusations that troops lack sufficient equipment.

The government has stepped up its efforts to explain why British troops are still there eight years after the campaign began, and spell out the road map towards troop levels being reduced.

Meanwhile London has struggled to convince its NATO allies to ramp up their troop levels to match its commitment.

Brown insisted British troops were having a "very real impact" on the ground.

"Our military presence in Afghanistan means that Al-Qaeda cannot use the country as a base from which to plot terrorist attacks against Britain," he said.

"And the work of our armed forces in the next stage of the campaign, the training and partnering of the Afghan security forces to do this job for themselves, along with the political and civilian development of the country, will be vital in ensuring the British people are safer for generations to come."

British regular troop numbers are rising by 500 to 9,500 this month. They are based in Helmand, where they are battling Taliban insurgents and training local forces.

A deliberate switch in tactics by the Taliban extremists towards using improvised explosive devices has made 2009 the bloodiest year for British forces since 1982 and the Falklands War with Argentina.

About three-quarters of the 100 deaths are thought to have been caused by IEDs.

The professional head of Britain's armed forces said his troops had brought greater security to Helmand and were helping local forces develop their capabilities.

"There is still much to do, and there will be difficult days ahead, but our armed forces are making a real difference, and are building the basis for enduring success in Afghanistan," Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup said.

Meanwhile British Army chief General David Richards said: "The temptation to judge this essential campaign by casualties alone undervalues the tremendous efforts of our forces and our allies, and the progress they are making.

"There are real grounds for optimism. We have made substantial progress in Helmand and throughout Afghanistan.

"Political resolve is firm; the necessary resources and manpower will be flowing into Afghanistan to allow us to do the job."

The first British soldier to die in Afghanistan this year was Serjeant Chris Reed, 25, from 6th Battalion The Rifles, who was killed by an IED while conducting a vehicle patrol.

He was killed on New Year's Day.

Share This Article With Planet Earth
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit
YahooMyWebYahooMyWeb GoogleGoogle FacebookFacebook



Related Links
News From Across The Stans



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Date for US drawdown needed to press Afghans: Gates
Washington (AFP) Dec 7, 2009
Setting a date for the start of a US withdrawal from Afghanistan conveys "a sense of urgency" to Kabul that American forces would not stay indefinitely, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said. Defending President Barack Obama's decision to combine a troop buildup in Afghanistan with a target date of July 2011 for the beginning of a drawdown, Gates said the Kabul government had to understand the ... read more







The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2009 - SpaceDaily. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any Web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement