Space Tourism, Space Transport and Space Exploration News
LAUNCH PAD
India To Launch PSLV On Commercial Mission
by Staff Writers
New Delhi (IANS) May 23, 2014

File image.

Preparations are on at the rocket port in Sriharikota for the launch of a commercial rocket that would carry five satellites -- two from Canada, and one each from France, Germany and Singapore, an official said Thursday.

"Work on the next launch has started. The rocket launch is slated for last week of June. The rocket will put into orbit a French satellite SPOT-7 weighing around 720 kg," M.Y.S. Prasad, director at Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) told IANS over phone.

It will be the first rocket launch of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, which will assume charge May 26.

The rocket port is in Andhra Pradesh's Sriharikota around 80 km from here.

Prasad said piggybacking on the main luggage will be four more small satellites - two from Canada and one each from Germany and Singapore.

He said the total liftoff weight of the rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) will be 230 tonne and its total luggage/satellites weight will be around 830 kg.

During the 12th Five-year Plan (2012-2017), the ISRO is planning to have 60 space missions.

ISRO chairman K. Radhakrishnan had said the space organisation was working at preparing a business model to partner with industries - public and private - so that they have a higher level of participation in the space sector.

The model that the ISRO is looking is for investment, sharing of technology and responsibility and it may take around three or four years to arrive at a model, he said.

Source: Indo-Asia News Service


Related Links
IRSO
Launch Pad at Space-Travel.com



Subscribe free to our newsletters via your


















Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries



LAUNCH PAD
Halting Russian rocket engine deliveries may cost US $5 billion
Moscow (Voice of Russia) May 23, 2014
The US is expected to lose some $5 billion if Russia goes ahead with the idea of halting delivery of rocket engines used to launch American defense satellites. American military experts counted the cost after Russian Vice President Dmitry Rogozin and head of the Roscosmos space agency Oleg Ostapenko hinted last week that supplies of the RD-180 engines might not continue. Calculations came ... read more

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS newswire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement