Free Newsletters - Space News - Defense Alert - Environment Report - Energy Monitor
by Staff Writers
Seoul (XNA) Nov 20, 2012
South Korea's third attempt to launch a space rocket is expected to take place on Nov. 29 after it has been postponed due to a last-minute technical glitch, the government said Monday.
After holding a meeting earlier in the day, South Korean and Russian researchers agreed that Nov. 29 is " technically suitable" for the third launch attempt of the Korea Space Launch Vehicle-1 (KSLV-1), also known as Naro-1, the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology said in a statement.
The ministry added that the Launch Preparation Committee will be convened on Thursday to determine the definitive launch date.
South Korea's earlier launch attempt on Oct. 26 was aborted when a gas leak in the link between the two-stage rocket and the launch pad was detected just hours before the planned lift-off.
South Korea failed in its two previous attempts in August 2009 and June 2010 to send a satellite into space on a rocket built partially using domestic technology. The rocket's first stage was built by Russia while the second was manufactured by South Korea.
Source: Xinhua News Agency
Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
Rocket Science News at Space-Travel.Com
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|