by Staff Writers
Moscow (RIA Novosti) Oct 10, 2011
The Russian space agency has dropped plans to construct a new Rus-M carrier rocket by 2015, Roscosmos head Vladimir Popovkin said on Friday.
"We have come to the conclusion that we do not need a new rocket, we can continue using those we already have," Popovkin said.
The two-stage Rus-M, intended to replace Russia's ageing Soyuz carrier rockets, was being developed by the Energia space corporation, which had already received 800 million rubles (more than $24.8 million) of budget funds for the project.
The carrier rocket was intended to launch new-generation spacecraft from the Vostochny space center currently under construction in the country's Far East starting from 2018.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said in April the launch vehicle, whose draft model was first presented at the MAKS 2009 air show in Moscow, was scheduled to be developed by 2015.
The carrier rocket has faced strict safety requirements so that it could guarantee a takeoff or ensure a continuous flight or an ejection with a safe landing even with one of its engines out of action.
The Russian aerospace industry has faced a series of misfortunes in less than a year, including the loss of three Glonass satellites and a prized Express-AM4 satellite, as well as a Progress M-12M space freighter in south Siberia's Altai Republic.
The loss of the space freighter, which was caused by a Soyuz rocket engine failure, raised concerns about the safety of the Soviet-era Soyuz spacecraft. After the retirement of the U.S. shuttle fleet last summer, Soyuz carrier rockets became the only way for astronauts to reach the ISS until at least the middle of the decade.
Following the August 24 accident, Roscosmos moved to improve control procedures in the space industry.
Source: RIA Novosti
Rocket Science News at Space-Travel.Com
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
Russia to abandon rocket booster work
Moscow (UPI) Oct 7, 2011
Russia's space agency Roscosmos says it has decided to abandon the development of its Rus-M booster rocket because of inadequate funding. "We do not need a new rocket, we will use those that we have," Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said Friday. While more than 37 percent of the Roscosmos budget was allocated to develop a launch vehicle by 2015, Popovkin said, the funding is in ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|