Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




WAR REPORT
50 rebels, French soldier killed in 'heavy' Mali fighting
by Staff Writers
Bamako (AFP) March 3, 2013


Third French soldier killed in Mali fighting
Paris (AFP) March 03, 2013 - France said Sunday that one of its soldiers had been killed in fighting in northern Mali, in the third death of a French serviceman since the launch of its military intervention in mid-January.

The presidency said in a statement that the soldier, from the First Parachute Chasseur Regiment, was killed in combat on Saturday evening.

The defence ministry identified the soldier as Corporal Cedric Charenton, 26, who had been deployed in Mali since January 25 and had previously served in Afghanistan and Gabon.

President Francois Hollande in the statement expressed his "profound respect for the sacrifice of this young soldier" and hailed the "courage and ardour" of French forces fighting in Mali.

The government said in a separate statement that the soldier "was mortally wounded during fighting against armed terrorists taking refuge in the Adrar of the Ifoghas (mountains), in northern Mali."

France has so far suffered relatively few casualties during its operations in Mali, launched in mid-January to back up Malian forces against Islamist rebels who seized control of the country's vast desert north last year.

A legionnaire with the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment was killed amid heavy clashes on February 19 and a helicopter pilot died at the very start of the operation.

The intervention quickly ousted the rebels from the north's main cities and operations are now focused on hunting them down in mountainous areas.

The army said at least 15 Islamist rebels had been "neutralised" -- killed or wounded -- in the fighting Saturday that led to the soldier's death.

Military spokesman Colonel Thierry Burkhard said the soldier had been killed while attacking a rebel position following "several engagements with terrorist elements."

"The actions aimed to search (mountain) recesses and tunnels that can be used as shelters," he said, adding that French soldiers seized significant ammunition caches and arms including heavy weapons.

Heavy fighting in northern Mali has left at least 50 rebel fighters and a French soldier dead, officials said Sunday, as Chad promised to prove its soldiers had killed two top Islamist militants.

French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian called for "caution" on Chad's reports that its soldiers in Mali recently killed Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the mastermind of January's assault on an Algerian gas plant that left 38 hostages dead, and Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) commander Abdelhamid Abou Zeid.

Le Drian also said a French soldier had died "in some of the heaviest fighting that we have carried out on Malian territory". Both French and Malian officials said clashes had intensified in the region in recent days.

As foreign governments sought confirmation of the reported killing of Belmokhtar and Abou Zeid, Al-Qaeda's two historic leaders in Africa's Sahel region, Chadian Communications Minister Hassan Sylla said his government was "not just wasting breath" with the announcements.

"We are soon going to present some prisoners, some lieutenants who were with them," he told AFP.

But France's Le Drian warned: "A rumour that's repeated over and over doesn't become a fact.

"I call for caution and a spirit of responsibility with regards to information that we are not in a position to materially confirm at this stage," he said in comments released by the defence ministry.

On the ground, a Malian military source said the fighting continued on Sunday near the northern town of Gao, where Malian troops backed by French forces are hunting down Islamist rebels driven from the region's main cities after a lightning French intervention launched on January 11.

"At least 50 MUJAO Islamists have been killed since the day before yesterday (Friday)," the source told AFP, referring to rebels from the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, an Al-Qaeda offshoot.

France said 26-year-old Corporal Cedric Charenton had been killed on Saturday evening in northern Mali, the third death of a French serviceman since the intervention began.

The French army said at least 15 Islamist rebels had been "neutralised" -- killed or wounded -- in the fighting Saturday that led to the soldier's death.

-- 'Blow to terrorism'? --

The increase in clashes came as Chad announced the killings of Belmokhtar on Saturday and Abou Zeid on Friday.

If the killings are confirmed, the French-led military coalition will have decapitated the country's Islamist insurgency.

"It would be a blow to terrorism and to the criminal network around this man and other people," British Foreign Secretary William Hague told BBC television in reaction to reports of Belmokhtar's death.

"These are reports from Chadian soldiers who have been doing a lot of the fighting in northern Mali. We can't absolutely confirm this at the moment -- I stress that."

The Chadian army said Belmokhtar, an Algerian national who had broken away from AQIM weeks ago to form a group called Signatories in Blood, was killed during an operation in Mali's Ifoghas mountains.

Belmokhtar claimed the attack on the In Amenas gas plant in southern Algeria days after France's surprise decision to send in fighter jets and troops to help the Malian government reconquer the north.

The spectacular assault on the isolated facility, which was jointly operated by British, US and Norwegian oil companies, finished in a bloodbath by the time an Algerian raid ended the crisis.

Among the victims were 37 foreigners from nations including Britain, Norway and Japan.

The report of the death of Belmokhtar, whom a former French intelligence chief had branded "The Uncatchable", came after Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno announced Friday that his forces had killed Abou Zeid, the top AQIM commander in Mali.

Deby said his troops killed Abou Zeid during a major battle on February 22 that also left 26 Chadian soldiers dead, but some local media reported he was killed in a French air strike.

Abou Zeid, 46, was believed to be holding a number of Western hostages, including four French citizens kidnapped in Niger in 2010.

He and Belmokhtar were directly involved in most of the kidnappings of foreigners that have plagued the region in recent years.

The reports of their killings have raised fears over the fates of several French hostages held in the region who may have been used as human shields.

burs-jhb/boc

.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





WAR REPORT
Protest against Iraq PM blocks highway to Syria, Jorda
Ramadi, Iraq (AFP) Dec 23, 2012
About 2,000 Iraqi protesters, demanding the ouster of premier Nuri al-Maliki, blocked on Sunday a highway in western Iraq leading to Syria and Jordan, an AFP correspondent reported. The protesters, including local officials, religious and tribal leaders, turned out in Ramadi, the capital of Sunni province of Anbar, to demonstrate against the arrest of nine guards of Finance Minister Rafa al- ... read more


WAR REPORT
SpaceX's capsule arrives at ISS

Dragon Transporting Two ISS Experiments For AMES

SpaceX Optimistic Despite Dragon Capsule Mishap

'Faulty Ukrainian Parts' Blamed for Zenit Launch Failure

WAR REPORT
Short Bump Gets Robotic Arm Closer to Rock Target

NASA fixing computer glitch on Mars Curiosity rover

Inspiration Mars to Pursue Human Mission to the Red Planet in 2018

Computer Swap on Curiosity Rover

WAR REPORT
China to use modified rocket for moon landing mission

Water On The Moon: It's Been There All Along

Building a lunar base with 3D printing

US, Europe team up for moon fly-by

WAR REPORT
'Vulcan' wins Pluto moon name vote

Public to vote on names for Pluto moons

The PI's Perspective: The Seven-Year Itch

New Horizons Gets a New Year's Workout

WAR REPORT
Scientists spot birth of giant planet

NASA's Kepler Mission Discovers Tiny Planet System

Kepler helps astronomers find tiny exo planet

Searching for a Pale Blue SPHERE in the Universe

WAR REPORT
J-2X Engine 'Goes the Distance' at Stennis

China's first solid-fuel rocket to debut before 2016

NASA Partner Orbital Tests Rocket, Newest US Launch Pad

NASA Seeks Big Ideas for Small In-Space Propulsion Systems

WAR REPORT
Welcome Aboard Shenzhou 10

Reshuffle for Tiangong

China to launch 20 spacecrafts in 2013

Mr Xi in Space

WAR REPORT
Stott Space Aims to Mine Asteroids this Decade

Comet may give Mars a close shave in 2014

Meteorite's Powerful Blast Due to Space Collisions

Asteroid impact mission targets Didymos




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement