Subscribe to our free daily newsletters
  Space Travel News  




Subscribe to our free daily newsletters



420,000 houses collapse in China aftershocks: state media

Red Cross offers 100,000 tents for China quake victims
The Red Cross on Tuesday said it would send up to 100,000 tents to China to provide emergency shelter for millions of people left homeless after the devastating earthquake. It will also look at supporting efforts to build thousands of semi-permanent shelters, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said in a statement. Over five million people have been left homeless after the earthquake, and China last week appealed for 3.3 million tents or portable shelters. Earlier on Tuesday, Chinese state media said over 420,000 houses collapsed in Sichuan province after two fresh aftershocks hit the area in the afternoon. Xinhua news agency, quoting local disaster relief headquarters, said the houses were in Qingchuan County and added 63 people had been injured there as a result, six of them critically. So far, the Chinese Red Cross has already provided over 18,000 tents to survivors. "Although these tents are far from the comforts of their former homes, they will provide families with a dry place to sleep until more permanent structures are built," said Carl Naucler, head of the IFRC delegation in Beijing. More than 200 Red Cross trucks are also transporting relief items on a daily basis, the agency added.
by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) May 27, 2008
More than 420,000 houses collapsed in quake-hit Sichuan province in southwest China after two fresh aftershocks hit the area on Tuesday afternoon, state media reported.

Xinhua news agency, quoting local disaster relief headquarters, said the houses were in Qingchuan County and added 63 people had been injured there as a result, six of them critically.

Southwest China has been rocked by dozens of powerful aftershocks after an earthquake on May 12 measuring 8.0 on the Richter scale hit densely populated Sichuan province, killing at least 67,000 people.

As of noon on Monday, 182 aftershocks measuring above four on the Richter scale had been recorded in Sichuan, Xinhua said earlier, citing the China Seismological Bureau.

Tuesday's aftershocks measured 5.4 and 5.7 on the Richter scale, state media said earlier, and came within half an hour of one another.

China 'quake lake' top priority in recovery effort: state media
A swollen "quake lake" that has forced the evacuation of 150,000 people through fears of flooding is China's top priority in the ongoing earthquake relief effort, state media said early Wednesday.

Emergency workers had been aiming to move 80,000 people from their homes near the dangerously swelling lake in Beichuan county of Sichuan province by midnight (1600 GMT) on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency said.

About 70,000 people have already been evacuated.

The lake, now holding 130 million cubic metres (4.6 billion cubic feet) of water, was created when the quake triggered landslides that blocked the Jian river.

If the lake's barrier fully opens, 1.3 million people would need to be relocated, state media reported.

"The Tangjiashan quake lake should be our most urgent task," Chinese Vice Premier Hui Liangyu, who is overseeing the relief work in mountainous Sichuan province, was quoted as saying by Xinhua early Wednesday.

"It is threatening millions of lives in the area downstream and any negligence will cause new disasters to people who have already suffered the quake," he said.

Troops armed with dynamite are aiming to break up some of the new lake's banks in an effort to release some of the water in a controlled manner.

The lake is inaccessible by road and the teams of soldiers, engineers and police had to hike through remote and mountainous terrain to reach it.

Helicopters also airlifted bulldozers and other heavy machinery into the region.

The site is one of about 35 "quake lakes" that could cause huge problems if they burst, authorities have said.

The May 12 earthquake, which measured 8.0 on the Richter scale, flattened entire towns and villages across an area the size of South Korea.

The death toll from the disaster has reached 67,183, with another 20,790 people missing, a government spokesman said on Tuesday.

Related Links
Bringing Order To A World Of Disasters
A world of storm and tempest
When the Earth Quakes



Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News


Thunderstorms may add to woes of China's quake survivors
Beichuan, China (AFP) May 27, 2008
Survivors of China's earthquake huddled inside tents near their devastated homes Tuesday as they awaited a predicted thunderstorm, wondering how they would cope.







  • Russia And Europe To Build New Manned Spacecraft
  • North Carolina Students Win National Team America Rocketry Challenge
  • NASA Successfully Completes First Series Of Ares Engine Tests
  • NASA Awards Contract For Ares I Mobile Launcher

  • Arianespace Completes The Assembly Of Another Ariane 5
  • Zenit Rocket Powers A Successful Sea Launch Campaign
  • Sea Launch Initiates Countdown For Launch Of Galaxy 18
  • Sweden Launches MASER 11 Sounding Rocket

  • NASA revises shuttle launch schedule
  • Shuttle Discovery Crew On Track For May 31 Liftoff
  • NASA gives go-ahead for Discovery shuttle launch on May 31
  • Discovery's Launch Date Confirmed: May 31

  • NASA: Space station view is good this week
  • NASA TV Airs High-Def Day In The Life Of An ISS Astronaut
  • Russian cargo ship docks with the ISS: report
  • MDA Receives Information Solution Contract With Boeing

  • French skydiver fails record freefall bid
  • Japanese plan to brew 'space beer'
  • Medvedev To Discuss Space Center And Some Arms Dealing During Kazakh Visit
  • French skydiver postpones historic jump

  • Suits For Shenzhou
  • China Launches New Space Tracking Ship To Serve Shenzhou VII
  • Three Rocketeers For Shenzhou
  • China's space development can pose military threat: Japan

  • A Biomimetic Jumping Microrobot
  • Robot conducts Detroit orchestra
  • Canada rejects sale of space firm to US defense firm
  • The Future Of Robotic Warfare Part Two

  • Radio glitch hinders Mars lander mission
  • NASA Mars Lander Prepares To Move Arm
  • NASA probe sends first pictures from Martian arctic
  • NASA probe sends first pictures from Martian arctic

  • The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright Space.TV Corporation. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space.TV Corp on any Web page published or hosted by Space.TV Corp. Privacy Statement