by Staff Writers
Aden (AFP) March 15, 2016
At least 41 Yemeni civilians were killed when Saudi-led coalition warplanes hit a market Tuesday in the rebel-held northern Hajja province, medics and tribal sources said.
An official at a hospital run by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said the facility had received the bodies of 41 people killed in the raids, along with 35 people who were wounded.
A health official in Hajja said the casualties were civilians and included children, adding that "the toll could rise".
Local officials and tribal sources told AFP that coalition warplanes carried out several raids on the market in the town of Mustabaa.
The rebel-run sabanews.net website said that the coalition carried out two raids targeting the market and a restaurant in the area and gave a toll of 65 civilians dead and 55 wounded.
It quoted an unnamed source as saying that health facilities in Mustabaa and the neighbouring town of Abs were receiving the casualties but were short on medical supplies.
The coalition launched its campaign against Iran-backed rebels in support of the Yemen's internationally-recognised government on March 26 last year.
Rights groups have repeatedly urged the coalition to avoid causing civilian casualties.
Last month, Human Rights Watch accused the coalition of using US-supplied cluster bombs.
The coalition has said that an independent inquiry would examine charges of possible abuses against civilians in the conflict.
A panel of UN experts says the coalition has carried out 119 sorties that violated humanitarian law, and called for an international probe.
In February, a coalition air strike on a market northeast of rebel-held capital Sanaa killed at least 30 rebels and civilians, according to witnesses.
It targeted three rebel vehicles as they entered the market.
But it was not immediately clear why the coalition targeted the market in Mustabaa and there was no word yet from the Arab alliance led by Yemen's neighbour Saudi Arabia on the raids.
The Shiite Huthi rebels advanced from their northern strongholds seizing Sanaa in September 2014 before expanding further towards the south.
They forced President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi to flee with members of his government to Saudi Arabia before later declaring main southern city Aden as the temporary capital.
But Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group are becoming increasingly active in Aden, where they have carried out deadly attacks.
Last week, the coalition launched air strikes against jihadists in Aden, for the first time since it started its campaigns last year against the rebels.
The World Health Organisation says more than 6,200 people have been killed in the conflict since March 2015 and the United Nations has warned of a "human catastrophe unfolding in Yemen".
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2017 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|