. Space Travel News .




.
AFRICA NEWS
25 held over Bissau 'coup plot', weapons cache seized
by Staff Writers
Bissau (AFP) Dec 29, 2011


Twenty-five renegade soldiers involved in an apparent coup plot in Guinea-Bissau are being detained in the capital and at an air base north of Bissau, an AFP reporter said, after the army uncovered a large cache of weapons.

The arms were seized at the homes of two soldiers arrested for taking part in Monday's attack on army headquarters which the regime has described as a coup bid.

Army chief General Antonio Indjai said he was "staggered" by the quantity of arms found during search operations in the northern suburb of Plack 1, at the homes of the soldiers who admitted taking part in the attack.

The army seized 30 Kalachnikovs, three rocket-launchers, a machine-gun, six crates of shells, three crates of flamethrowers, eight bulletproof jackets and ammunition in searches witnessed by AFP.

"I am surprised to see so many weapons which would have been used to destroy our country... I call on government to build secure armories to avoid having thousands of arms circulating outside of appropriate channels of control," Indjai told journalists.

On Monday, Indjai announced that a coup attempt by a group of renegade soldiers had been foiled.

The army said it had arrested controversial navy chief Rear Admiral Jose Americo Bubo Na Tchuto -- whom the United States has branded a drug kingpin -- as the "mastermind" of the plot.

Some observers put the mutiny down to a falling out between Indjai and Bubo Na Tchuto who was among 25 detainees paraded before journalists on Thursday.

Bubo Na Tchuto is being detained in Mansoa, 60 kilometres (40 miles) north of the capital, and the 24 others in four cells at a Bissau air base.

Another officer, General Watna Na Lai, was wounded and remains in hospital.

Bubo Na Tchuto told visiting journalists, human rights activists and NGOs he was "in good spirits".

But he criticised the conditions of his detention in a 20-square-metre (215-square-feet) office at the Mansoa garrison that had been turned into a cell.

"Since I was brought here, I haven't seen my doctor, I'm suffering from high blood pressure," he said, adding that he had not been able to see his family including his wife.

"When she sends food I never get it," he said.

In Bissau, journalists saw another 24 detainees held at the air base.

Journalists were not allowed to speak to them but members of NGOs who organised the visits said they also criticised the condition of their detention "in very small, badly lit cells with filthy toilets and without running water".

"We will plead with military authorities so the conditions of their detention are improved," Luis Vaz Martins, a member of an NGO that organised the visits, told the press.

He said none of the prisoners had been presented to a military investigating magistrate.

"Some have minor injuries, generally bruises suffered in their arrest; they did not suffer gunshot wounds but were beaten with clubs," Vaz Martins added.

Guinea-Bissau is notoriously unstable, with a history of coups and army mutinies, and has become a stomping ground for drug cartels which use it as a hub to traffic drugs to Europe.

The two soldiers targeted in Thursday's search were Sergeant Jose Batista Sambe from the navy and Antonio Mario Cabi, a former member of the presidential guard.

Sambe told journalists he led a commando unit in Monday's attack which was meant to "seize weapons to overthrow the current leadership of the army".

The two men said they were dissatisfied with poor salaries and living conditions in the impoverished former Portuguese colony.

Two people died on Tuesday in clashes between security forces and alleged mutineers as joint teams of soldiers, police and paramilitary police hunted suspects.

Related Links
Africa News - Resources, Health, Food




.
.
Get Our Free Newsletters Via Email
...
Buy Advertising Editorial Enquiries




Weapons cache seized after Bissau 'coup plot'
Bissau (AFP) Dec 29, 2011 - Guinea Bissau's army on Thursday uncovered a large cache of weapons at the homes of two soldiers arrested for taking part in an attack on army headquarters which the regime has described as a coup bid.

Army chief General Antonio Indjai said he was "staggered" by the quantity of arms found during search operations in the northern suburb of Plack 1, at the homes of the soldiers who admitted to taking part in Monday's attack.

The army seized 30 Kalachnikovs, three rocket-launchers, a machine-gun, six crates of shells, three crates of flamethrowers, eight bulletproof jackets and a variety of ammunition in searches witnessed by AFP.

"I am surprised to see so many weapons which would have been used to destroy our country... I call on government to build secure armories to avoid having thousands of arms circulating outside of appropriate channels of control," Indjai told journalists.

On Monday, Indjai announced that a coup attempt by a group of renegade soldiers who attacked army headquarters had been foiled.

The army said it had arrested controversial navy chief Rear Admiral Jose Americo Bubo Na Tchuto -- whom the United States has branded a drug kingpin -- as the "mastermind" of the coup plot.

Some observers put the mutiny down to a falling out between Indjai and Bubo Na Tchuto.

The two soldiers targeted in the army search were Sergeant Jose Batista Sambe from the navy and Antonio Mario Cabi, a former member of the presidential guard who were both arrested Tuesday.

Sambe told journalists he led a commando unit in Monday's attack which was meant to "seize weapons to overthrow the current leadership of the army".

The two men said they were dissatisfaction with poor salaries and living conditions in the impoverished former Portuguese colony.

Guinea Bissau is notoriously unstable, with a history of coups and army mutinies, and has become a stomping ground for drug cartels which use it as a hub to traffic drugs to Europe.

Two people died on Tuesday in clashes between security forces and alleged mutineers as joint teams of soldiers, police and paramilitary police hunted suspects.



.

. Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle



AFRICA NEWS
Bissau back to normal after coup scare: AU chief
Bissau (AFP) Dec 28, 2011
African Union chief Jean Ping said Wednesday that normality had returned to Guinea-Bissau two days after the troubled west African state's army chief claimed to have foiled a coup. Ping paid a brief visit to Bissau in the wake of the foiled coup and clashes which followed overnight and Tuesday, saying the situation was "a source of concern" for the African Union. "In light of my differen ... read more


AFRICA NEWS
Launch of Russian Proton-M carrier rocket postponed

Russian satellite crashes into Siberia after launch

Next ESA Astronaut Ready For Launch As Soyuz Rolls Out

Acra Control Proven in Low Earth Orbit

AFRICA NEWS
Meteorite Shock Waves Trigger Dust Avalanches on Mars

Opportunity at One of its Two Winter Spots

Scientists find microbes in lava tube living in conditions like those on Mars

MARSIS Completes Measurement Campaign Over Martian North Pole

AFRICA NEWS
First of NASA's GRAIL Spacecraft Enters Moon Orbit

Twin Spacecraft on Final Approach for Moon Orbit

Peres promotes Israeli moon probe

Hundreds of NASA's moon rocks missing: audit

AFRICA NEWS
SwRI researchers discover new evidence for complex molecules on Pluto's surface

New Horizons Becomes Closest Spacecraft to Approach Pluto

Pluto's Hidden Ocean

Is the Pluto System Dangerous?

AFRICA NEWS
New Exo planets raise questions about the evolution of stars

Astronomers discover deep-fried planets

Two new Earth-sized exoplanets discovered

NASA Discovers First Earth-Size Planets Beyond Our Solar System

AFRICA NEWS
Vega to fly ESA experimental reentry vehicle

NASA Takes Next Step In Developing Commercial Crew Program

Industry Leaders Discuss New Booster Development for Space Launch System

NASA Concludes 2011 Testing of J-2X Engine

AFRICA NEWS
Tiangong-1 orbiter starts planned cabin checks against toxic gas

China celebrates success of space docking mission

Two and a Half Men for Shenzhou

China honors its 'father' of space efforts

AFRICA NEWS
Christmas Comet Lovejoy Captured at Paranal

Dawn Obtains First Low Altitude Images of Vesta

Comet Lovejoy Plunges into the Sun and Survives

Using many instruments to track a comet


.

The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2012 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement