by Staff Writers
Beijing (AFP) June 6, 2011
Authorities in southwest China have confirmed the deaths of 21 workers in two flooded coal mines, state media said Monday, highlighting the dangers of toiling in the nation's collieries.
In Guiyang city, the capital of Guizhou province, 13 people were confirmed dead at the Fuhong mine, following a flood on May 29, the official China Daily newspaper reported.
Only five bodies have been recovered, but experts have determined that the eight miners still inside had no chance of survival.
A preliminary investigation revealed that the mine was not constructed in accordance with an approved design -- a possible cause of the accident.
The second incident, which took place at an illegal mine on May 31 on the border of Guizhou province and the Guangxi region, left eight workers trapped. All of their bodies had been recovered by Saturday, the newspaper reported.
Police have arrested four mine owners, it said.
Last year, 2,433 people died in coal mine accidents in China, according to official statistics, or a rate of more than six workers per day.
Labour rights groups, however, say the actual death toll is likely much higher than official data indicates, partly due to under-reporting of accidents as mine bosses seek to limit their economic losses and avoid punishment.
Fatalities at Chinese coal mines peaked in 2002 when 6,995 deaths were recorded, sparking efforts by the government to boost safety standards.
In its latest campaign, the government last year issued a policy that required six kinds of safety systems, including rescue facilities, to be installed in all coal mines within three years.
Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.
19 trapped in flooded China coal mines: Xinhua
Beijing (AFP) June 1, 2011
Rescuers in southwest China raced Wednesday to locate 19 workers trapped in two flooded coal mines, state media said, in the latest incidents to strike the nation's notoriously dangerous collieries. In Guiyang city, the capital of Guizhou province, emergency teams searched for 11 missing miners at the Fuhong mine, which flooded on Sunday, the official Xinhua news agency reported. One body ha ... read more
|The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2011 - Space Media Network. AFP and UPI Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse and United Press International. ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement,agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement|