Subscribe free to our newsletters via your
. Space Travel News .




WAR REPORT
131 dead in alleged strike on Yemen wedding
By Jamal al-Jabiri
Sanaa (AFP) Sept 29, 2015


Coalition denies role in Yemen wedding bombing that killed 131
Sanaa (AFP) Sept 29, 2015 - The Saudi-led anti-rebel coalition denied on Tuesday that its warplanes were behind the bombing of a wedding in southwestern Yemen as the toll soared to 131, including women and children.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned Monday's air raid, saying intentional attacks on civilians were considered a "serious violation of international humanitarian law".

Residents said the Arab coalition, which launched an air war on the Huthi Shiite rebels in late March, was behind the attack on the wedding in Wahijah village near the Red Sea city of Mokha.

But the spokesman for the Riyadh-based coalition, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, denied any involvement.

"The coalition did not conduct any air strikes in the area over the past three days," he said. "This is completely false."

The coalition called for an independent investigation into the incident.

"We can prove by satellite that we did not fly over that zone," a coalition source said.

The death toll rose to 131 on Tuesday after "more bodies were taken overnight to hospital and many of the wounded succumbed to their injuries," a local health official told AFP, requesting anonymity.

Previously the toll had been at least 40 dead and dozens wounded.

A doctor at Mokha's Al-Reefi Hospital, Mayaz al-Hamadi, confirmed that 131 bodies, including women and children, had been brought in.

"Many bodies are laid on the floor because the hospital does not have the means" to accommodate the large number of fatalities, he said.

The United Nations said it was trying to verify the death toll.

- More civilians dying: UN -

"If the numbers are as high as suggested, this may be the single deadliest incident since the start of the conflict," Rupert Colville, spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told reporters in Geneva.

Colville said that more civilians were being killed in the fighting in Yemen amid "an increasing number of air strikes targeting bridges and highways".

According to new UN figures, 151 civilians were killed, including 26 children and 10 women, in the conflict between September 11 and 24.

A total of 2,355 civilians have been killed in the war since late March, and 4,862 have been wounded, Colville said.

Ban urged all rival sides in Yemen "to immediately cease all military activities and resolve all differences through peaceful negotiations".

President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi returned from nearly six months of exile in Saudi Arabia to Yemen's southern port city of Aden last Wednesday.

On Sunday, as he left for the UN General Assembly, Hadi urged the rebels to lay down their arms and resume dialogue to end the conflict.

Human rights watchdogs have repeatedly criticised the coalition's aerial bombardment of Yemen, saying they have struck areas without any military targets.

They have also accused the rebels of war crimes for what they have called "indiscriminate" shelling of civilian-populated areas.

Several coalition air strikes have hit non-military facilities killings dozens of civilians during the past six months.

In late August, an air raid struck a bottled-water factory in the northern province of Hajja, killing 17 civilians and 14 rebels.

Warplanes in July attacked the residences of employees of a power plant in Mokha, killing 65 civilians, while a raid on a dairy plant in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida in April left 35 civilians dead.

The death toll from an alleged air strike on a Yemeni wedding soared Tuesday to 131, including women and children, as the Saudi-led coalition denied it was behind the incident.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned Monday's reported bombardment, saying intentional attacks on civilians were considered a "serious violation of international humanitarian law".

Residents said the Arab coalition, which launched an air war on the Huthi Shiite rebels in late March, was behind the attack on the wedding in Wahijah village near the Red Sea city of Mokha.

But the spokesman for the Riyadh-based coalition, Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri, denied any involvement.

"The coalition did not conduct any air strikes in the area over the past three days," he said. "This is completely false."

The coalition called for an independent investigation.

"We can prove by satellite that we did not fly over that zone," a coalition source said.

The death toll rose to 131 on Tuesday after "more bodies were taken overnight to hospital and many of the wounded succumbed to their injuries," a health official told AFP, requesting anonymity.

Previously the toll had been at least 40 dead and dozens wounded.

- More civilians dying: UN -

A doctor at Mokha's Al-Reefi Hospital, Mayaz al-Hamadi, confirmed that 131 bodies, including women and children, had been brought in.

"Many bodies are laid on the floor because the hospital does not have the means" to accommodate the large number of fatalities, he said.

The United Nations said it was trying to verify the death toll.

"If the numbers are as high as suggested, this may be the single deadliest incident since the start of the conflict," said Rupert Colville, spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Colville said more civilians were being killed in the fighting in Yemen amid "an increasing number of air strikes targeting bridges and highways".

According to new UN figures, 151 civilians were killed, including 26 children and 10 women, in the conflict between September 11 and 24.

A total of 2,355 civilians have been killed in the war since late March, and 4,862 have been wounded, Colville said.

Ban urged all rival sides in Yemen "to immediately cease all military activities and resolve all differences through peaceful negotiations".

- Hadi calls for talks -

President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi returned from nearly six months of exile in Saudi Arabia to Yemen's southern port city of Aden last Wednesday.

On Sunday, as he left for the UN General Assembly, Hadi urged the rebels to lay down their arms and resume dialogue to end the conflict.

Human rights watchdogs have repeatedly criticised the coalition's aerial bombardment of Yemen, saying they have struck areas without any military targets.

They have also accused the rebels of war crimes for what they have called "indiscriminate" shelling of civilian-populated areas.

Several coalition air strikes have hit non-military facilities killings dozens of civilians in the past six months.

In late August, an air raid struck a bottled-water factory in the northern province of Hajja, killing 17 civilians and 14 rebels.

Warplanes in July attacked the residences of employees of a power plant in Mokha, killing 65 civilians, while a raid on a dairy plant in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida in April left 35 civilians dead.

In the border area, a Saudi fighter was killed in the kingdom's southwestern Jazan region by rocket fire from Yemen, the interior ministry in Riyadh said Tuesday.

At least 70 people, mostly soldiers, have been killed inside Saudi Arabia in cross-border fire and clashes since March.


Thanks for being here;
We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.

SpaceDaily Contributor
$5 Billed Once


credit card or paypal
SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly


paypal only

.


Related Links






Comment on this article via your Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail login.

Share this article via these popular social media networks
del.icio.usdel.icio.us DiggDigg RedditReddit GoogleGoogle




Memory Foam Mattress Review
Newsletters :: SpaceDaily :: SpaceWar :: TerraDaily :: Energy Daily
XML Feeds :: Space News :: Earth News :: War News :: Solar Energy News





WAR REPORT
Syria sees Russia game changer, US-trained rebels enter fray
Damascus (AFP) Sept 21, 2015
Syria predicted Sunday that Russia's growing military role will prove a game changer in the fight against jihadists, as 75 rebels trained under a beleaguered US programme entered the fray. US Secretary of State John Kerry, by contrast, said Moscow's support for the regime in Damascus only risked sending more extremists to conflict-wracked Syria and could further hamper peace efforts to end t ... read more


WAR REPORT
ULA Selects Orbital ATK to Provide Solid Boosters for Atlas V and Vulcan Launch Vehicles

Arianespace targets record year of new business and launch operations in 2015

Ariane 5 ready to orbit Sky Muster and ARSAT-2 on September 30

Moscow to Launch Telecom Satellites on Rokot Carrier Rocket

WAR REPORT
The Fact and Fiction of Martian Dust Storms

NASA's MAVEN Celebrates One Year at Mars

India's Mars mission to last many years: top space official

ExoMars 2016 targets March launch window

WAR REPORT
China to rehearse new carrier rocket for lunar mission

NASA's LRO discovers Earth's pull is 'massaging' our moon

Moon's crust as fractured as can be

China aims to land Chang'e-4 probe on far side of moon

WAR REPORT
Pluto 'Wows' in Spectacular New Backlit Panorama

New photos reveal Pluto's stunning geological diversity: NASA

New Pluto Images from New Horizons: It's Complicated

New Horizons Probes the Mystery of Charon's Red Pole

WAR REPORT
Stellar atmosphere can be used to predict the composition of rocky exoplanets

Watching an exoplanet in motion around a distant star

Study: 'Hot Jupiter' exoplanets formed extremely rapidly

Europlanet 2020 launches new era of planetary collaboration in Europe

WAR REPORT
'Mars and Back on a Tank of Gas': NASA's Fuel Efficiency Record Smashed

United Launch Alliance Picks US Rocket Engine Over Rival Russian One

First manned flight of NASA's Orion may be delayed to 2023

Construction Begins on Test Version of Important Connection for SLS

WAR REPORT
China's new carrier rocket succeeds in 1st trip

China launches new type of carrier rocket: state media

Long March-2D carrier rocket blasts off in NW China

Progress for Tiangong 2

WAR REPORT
New Space Mining Tech Could Be Game-Changer for Interstellar Travel

Solar Observatory discovers its 3,000th comet

Ceres' Bright Spots Seen in Striking New Detail

Comet Hitchhiker Would Take Tour of Small Bodies




The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2014 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. Privacy Statement All images and articles appearing on Space Media Network have been edited or digitally altered in some way. Any requests to remove copyright material will be acted upon in a timely and appropriate manner. Any attempt to extort money from Space Media Network will be ignored and reported to Australian Law Enforcement Agencies as a potential case of financial fraud involving the use of a telephonic carriage device or postal service.